Textures are mangled when building to Windows from macOS

Many (all??) of the textures in my game look compressed or mangled when I make a Windows bundle from my Mac. They look fine if I build directly to macOS, or if I copy the project to a Windows machine & build on it directly. Especially the star animation seen in the following screenshots – the Windows build has a black background where it shouldn’t.

github issue

1 Like

This is very strange indeed, since we don’t have platform specific code for the textures.

What if you use texture compression with basis universal?

@britzl over on Discord suggested that it might be because all the PNGs in my project are indexed instead of RGBA.

I’m not sure where to look for the specific texture compression setting you’re talking about, unfortunately. All of the texture profile settings are the same as default except I have mipmaps turned off.

Documentation for texture compression/profiles can be found here

ahh, ok, I didn’t see any of those options because I had texture compression disabled.

Switching to a lossy compression from no compression seems strange, but I can try it to see what happens.

How do you mean?

I’m making a pixel-art heavy game, and most of my sprites are relatively small, so I have texture compression off. Basis Universal is a lossy compression method, which definitely isn’t what I want.

So that seems like a strange move to me, but I am curious if it will work as a workaround to this issue.

that said in the meanwhile I’ve tried converting all my PNGs to RGBA and that did solve the issue, but I can still try the basis universal to see what happens.

Sure, for your use case, it might not be what you want/need.

Not really needed to test, I was mostly curious if it had any impact.

ok, sorry for the delay; it took me a while to get to this.

But I did a new build with the PNGs set back to indexed, and with compression turned on & set to Basis uastc. The issue still occurred.

For the time being, converting the assets to RGBA when adding them to the project is a perfectly acceptable workaround, though, that’s good!

2 Likes