Teaser Fridays and Roadmap talks

Good idea! Yes, maybe it would make sense for us to share a bit more of the work we do on a weekly basis. I’ll talk to the team and see if this is something we’d can start doing again. We do share more updates on Twitter, but usually from our personal accounts.

13 Likes

(Kinda forgot about this thread, I usually post WIP stuff on twitter or discord but I’ll be better at doing it here as well)

Here’s a teaser for a new feature we have been working that is getting slowly wrapped up - paged atlases:

This basically packs an atlas into one or more images that can be referenced by materials using an ‘array’ sampler without breaking batches. This is helpful for games with huge atlases that has to be split manually into multiple atlases for targeting lowend devices, optimizing atlas surface areas or utilizing even more space than what a single atlas currently can reference today.

A future improvement to this setup is to add support for creating array textures in runtime via the resource system, which could enables you to carry a single texture per model, 3D textures, terrain data or what else you can think of!

28 Likes

Another, smaller feature - camera frustum preview:

31 Likes

Oh - this is excellent! Very useful. Thank you!

2 Likes

wow! thank you! When will this be available?

That’s so great! I would love it if you could make the XZ plane grid mode to make the editor’s viewport look like all other 3D software.

7 Likes

Yeah we’re working on that aswell!

5 Likes

Adding frustum culling to the model component as well (thanks @aglitchman for the model!):

21 Likes

:star_struck: :partying_face: Thank you, this is great!

3 Likes

Marvelous!!

2 Likes

I have a small teaser too. This is Spine 4.1 with new sequence animation feature:

20 Likes

Seeing camera in editor is really nice!!

Hopefully the builtin camera component/render system can in time replace Rendercam features/ease of use wise (Rendercam is no longer being maintained).

7 Likes

Don’t forget to share this cool stuff on other media too! :star_struck:

3 Likes

I’m eagerly waiting for a teaser of editor scripting advancements, if there are have been any this past year :wink:

2 Likes

Started to add support for multi materials on models.
The engine+bob part is done, and next up is the editor part.

20 Likes

Multimaterials too, hurrah!:fireworks: Wonderful! I currently work on a large model again and can’t wait for all these great new features. Thank you devs!

4 Likes

I’m currently working on adding native support for non-xbox controllers for windows :slight_smile: The current setup requires users to use a translation layer from direct input to xinput (e.g DS4Windows), but that shouldn’t be necessary any longer! Here’s a short clip of me using an xbox and a playstation controller at the same time In Defold:

19 Likes

This will be amazing, Steam users will be happy!

6 Likes

Did some more work on the editor camera preview today:

I’m about to submit a PR now, so it will hopefully end up in the editor soon!

28 Likes

Shipped to alpha! Please give it a spin :relaxed:

8 Likes