Tappy Plane - Defold test

Sooner or later I wanted to test Defold and as I had some free time, in about a day I put this up: http://infuscy.github.io/

It’s a Flappy Bird where the pipes don’t move up/down but stars are spawned (not original idea). My execution is nowhere near completed. I would still need to add more fx and polish here and there.

What I noticed is that Defold is pretty easy to get into, from zero to hero in so little time.

Thanks for making this engine public.

Cheers.

9 Likes

I’m sold concerning Defold.

Time to think about what game to make, for reals. It needs to be something that will climb the charts. News sites love stories about indie nobodies using a brand new engine hitting it big :laughing:

Anyone have any ideas but don’t have the time to do?

3 Likes

Oh. There’s something weird happening when I animate rotation.z. At -pi/4 my tally plane becomes bigger. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

1 Like

You are animating the quaternion (which becomes non-normalized, thereby scaling the plane). What you need is “euler.z” instead of “rotation.z”. This is really not super clear and we need to fix this in the API docs. In the mean time the properties are listed here: http://www.defold.com/manuals/properties/

1 Like

Great work in such a short time, nice visuals! :thumbsup:

So happy to hear! :smiley:

2 Likes

Lovely! This is the kind of praise that makes a rainy monday morning feel like a sunny friday afternoon!

2 Likes

Hehe :sunny:

I’ve continued testing Defold and I’ve added Highscores.

Locally when I do ‘Build HTML and Launch’ it saves the score; same with Windows. When I try to play the github version, then the save no longer saves. Any idea what might be different?

I’ve also tried to add Facebook share but the documentation is confusing so I gave up for now.

Defold on!

1 Like

Excellent! But I’m need MUTE button! :smiley:

1 Like

Good point.

I’m trying to add a volume button now but I’m having problems changing the texture at runtime.

I’m doing this:
gui.play_flipbook(self.volume_node, "audioOff")

Don’t know what I’m doing wrong as the console isn’t showing any errors.

self.volume_node = gui.get_node(“youreNodeId”) or =“youreNodeId” ?
First variant must works. I’m have similar error

I’m doing:

self.volume_node = gui.get_node("volume")

And it’s getting this:

DEBUG:SCRIPT: box@(100, 100, 0)

So the element is valid.

Double and triple check that audioOff exists.

Ooops.

Thank @britzl. It’s working now.

Added a mute button.

From a design standpoint how would a settings menu be implemented? Something that is available in all screens but if clicked will not trigger anything else.

For example:

• a cog button in the lower left of the screen that when clicked will open the setting menu but will not trigger actions on the gameplay screen

You need to add a guiscript that return true in on_input when the cog wheel is tapped (returning true means the input is consumed and will not be forwarded to other scripts).
A heads up though - on_input are called in the reversed order as you have aquired input, so to be sure the gui script for your cog wheel is really the first to have its on_input called, make sure it is the last to acquire input

2 Likes

I’ll try this once I get home from work.

The test was a great success. It sold me and now I want to start working on a game and I have some ideas I’m testing.

The problem is that some of my ideas are a bit crazy and IAP would not really have much success so I would be forced to add some ads(interstitials) and I would like to know if this is something I can count upon in the future to be added.

I’ve looked at other engines but only a few are actually viable as most lack: commercial features, ide, support, documentation, easy cross platform, performance, free. Defold checks all of the boxes and I feel like I’ve learned how to use it in just a day.

The editor is easy to use and it does its job so I’m pretty satisfied with it. What puts me off from Unity is the lost time in their Editor setting up different components just for one easy thing; massive overkill sometimes. The message system is a good replacement for the event system other engines use. The workflow with the atlas, collections and scripts is pretty intuitive. The builds are lightning fast and it even has profiling.

What could I ask for more?

Defold on.

2 Likes

Yes, support for ads will be added, but it’s hard to say when and exactly which ad networks we will support.

2 Likes

I’m going to perform a presentation at my studio, about mobile game engines and I would also like to present Defold.

At this moment I’m trying to decide if I’ll deliver a full presentation on Defold or just a comparison between game engines with Defold among others.

Either way I go, I will be asked and will have to answer the big questions:

• Is it completely free? Even for other studios? Is the support here to stay?
  • As a programmer why should I use Defold?
  • As a creative why should I use Defold?
  • From a business standpoint why should I use Defold?
  • What are the unique selling points compared to Unity (will be asked 99%)? This might be reformulated as… why didn’t King choose to use an external game engine like Unity for its games?
  • What is the roadmap?

I’ll be performing as a salesman selling the next game engine so I will try to answer these questions as best as I can but I would like to hear some answers from experienced Defold team members and users.

The presentation will showcase the editor, UX and games made with Defold.

Thanks.

Addendum: I’ve seen that native extensions are going to come. Should I include them in the presentation as likely to be here? How would they work with ad sdks and analytics sdks?

5 Likes

Yay! That’s a nice initiative. Any chance to get it to youtube for the world to benefit?

Where are you based? I may pop by, or we can just catch up online to discuss your questions.

2 Likes

The presentation will be internal to the studio but I’ll check if it’s possible to share it on youtube.

I appreciate the help. I’m in Craiova (Romania) so I guess the best choice would be to do this online :slight_smile: