Tameshi - Vertical Shmup

Things got out of hand last year with this project. It’s taken a while to pinpoint various issues but I’m happy to continue development now. Having simplified the design and removed some features that greatly increased the complexity, it should be relatively straight forward from now on (ha!).

Most of the graphic assets are already done so the bulk of the work will be designing enemy and bullet patterns and bosses. There is currently no ‘gimmick’ mechanic to speak of though I kinda want one. Something else interesting to do rather than blasting relentlessly. I’ve already implemented power-ups, add-ons and bombs but these are standard shmup stuff.

Anyway, onward with the content creation for now.

6 Likes

Woho! Looking forward to it!

1 Like

Have you thought about a console release? :sweat_smile: it looks so good!

1 Like

Would love to see a console release! Will have to see if it turns out good enough

2 Likes

Work has continued with streamlining this project. It is now in good standing and I’m beginning to start adding new stuff:

• There are three craft to choose from, each with different characteristics: presently the speed and shot spread varies
  • New laser weapon added. This is in addition to the standard shooter. The laser is a more directed beam whereas the shooter spreads out over distance
  • These two weapons can both be powered-up several times to increase their damage
  • Once fully powered, an attempt to power-up further will activate a temporary hyper mode where damage is greatly increased
  • Top 10 scores + names are now stored, arcade style. Previously only the high score was stored. Shmup players like this sort of thing

11 Likes

Looks super fun! Great additions.

Mind sharing a little about how you implemented the laser?

It’s similar to regular bullets, just lots of them strung together and locked to the x-axis of the player to stop it ‘bending’ when the player moves. Each section has lots of random electric arc type particles and a blue glow underneath.

I originally made the laser as one piece and scaled it from the player ship end when it collided with something but the particles don’t scale in that way so I switched to the above method instead. It works well enough for this application but would not allow for firing diagonally for instance.

5 Likes

Getting ready to prepare the second Steam demo of Tameshi. The first level is mostly complete and ready for final tests and tweaks. I don’t expect any major changes to the game mechanics from this point on.

The level scripting system has recently been redesigned to allow more flexibility. The game had felt like a parade of different enemy types one after another. Now, different enemies can be mixed together to create more interest and challenge.

13 Likes

Continuing to refine enemy and bullet patterns. It’s taking a long time but it’s worth the effort to get a balanced result.

Add-ons, scoring system, power-ups all nearly finalised. Front-end, graphics, music and sound all done.

Holding off on releasing a demo - some evidence suggests doing so can actually reduce sales.

Still need to spend time animating level bosses and have added a true last boss.

It’s going well.

10 Likes

Steam page for Tameshi has been updated with a new trailer, screenshots, artwork and bumf!

If shmups are your thing or if you’re curious, please wishlist the game - it would really help me out with the release.

Thanks!

14 Likes

Looks really good! I’ve added it to my wishlist. :+1:

5 Likes

Tameshi is out now on Steam! 20% launch discount

19 Likes

Congratulations! Just got my copy.

The best way for us all to support @benjames171 release is to buy the game and leave a review as soon as possible! I’ll leave mine today.

Edit: Just left my review!

8 Likes

Bought and reviewed! Good luck, @benjames171!!

7 Likes

I see only a windows version. Am I or there is no Mac version?

1 Like

No, sorry. Windows only at the moment. Switch version is out early next year

2 Likes

Bought the game, but it won’t launch on the SteamDeck. Refunded, since the publisher does not seem to be following the steam forums.

Oh no. I know of other Defold games running on the SteamDeck. @Alex_8BitSkull didn’t you have an issue with SteamDeck too where you accidentally used the wrong build or something like that?

2 Likes

Yes, the fix was to enable the “Use a specific compatibility tool” checkbox in the game properties and then uncheck it to get Steam to install the Linux version.

Supposedly fixed in the Beta client at least: Steam Client Beta - Steam Client Beta - December 12th - Steam News

However, I just tested Tameshi on my Steam Deck and I don’t think this issue is related.

3 Likes

Sorry it didn’t work for you. Sadly I don’t have a Steamdeck for testing.

1 Like