SSAO Example

As mentioned in my other post I’m experimenting a bit with SSAO in Defold to see if there’s any low hanging fruit I can fix with out rendering pipeline (and also it’s fun!), just wanted to share some progress in case anyone is interested :slight_smile: Right now I only do the SSAO + blur pass, so next step would be to combine it with the albedo and some lighting.

Thanks to @MasterMind and @Dragosha for letting me use their content to test things out!

23 Likes

Really nice work , looking great!

5 Likes

Amazing. Want to try it.

3 Likes

Just a small update with some lighting:

Without SSAO:

14 Likes

This is great! Subtle but makes it feel so much more polished. How costly would this be in terms of performance? Would love to try it out on my little racing game side project.

4 Likes

Great! Please add if(color.a < 0.2) discard; to the fragment shader for filtering transparent pixels of texture. I forgot to say: my models have a minimum geometry and a lot of cheatering :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Ah good to know!

It’s quite expensive unfortunately, at least right now. I’m going to work on performance in a bit, I think there’s a bunch to get it to run nicely on most hardware but in general the effect is quite expensive due to all the texture samples needed… although if you plan to release on our upcoming ps4 platform I wouldn’t be to worried :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Spiral SSAO without bluring, 16 texture lookups:

And mixed with shadows and direct light:

15 Likes

Looks great!

2 Likes