Spine v4.0 Deprecating Lua Runtime(s)

I just noticed that with v4.0 of Spine that the Lua runtime is being deprecated. I think the Defold Spine runtime is still using a much older version, but it appears to paint a picture that any future Spine runtime support in Defold has a questionable future.

"Use of the Lua and ActionScript runtimes has been declining over the years due to discontinuation of the products they are built upon, like Corona and Flash. We want to free up development resources to work on new features and new runtimes.

Spine 4.0 is the last release to support spine-lua, spine-corona, spine-love, spine-as3, and spine-starling. They will still see bug fixes and updates for 4.0, but won’t be updated to 4.1 or beyond."

http://en.esotericsoftware.com/blog

1 Like

Defold is actually using its own self made runtime, not the official Lua one.

When Spine is made into its own extension it also won’t use the official Lua runtime (you’ll still of course interact with the extension with Lua script) so there is no need to worry.

8 Likes

@Pkeod is right. We have our own runtime which we are now moving to an extension. We will also create a new extension using the official C++ runtime and add or own Lua bindings on top of it.

8 Likes

Ooh, any chance this will use the latest version of the official (4.x) Spine C++ runtime (and features)?

Yes, that is the goal. We will have one extension with our own runtime, and another with the vanilla (official) runtime.
The work is ongoing, and I hope we can start alpha test it soon.

12 Likes