Spine animation bug, incompatible data in json? (SOLVED)

Hello, so we are using Spine to create the sprite animation for our project and everything was going well but recently we started having this error:

The procedure is followed as:

1. Add the images and the JSON into the assets

2. Create an Atlas with the images

3. Create a Scene with the Atlas and JSON

4. Create a Model with the Scene

5. Use the model

However, this time it didn’t work as expected, any hints for how to get it working?

Thank you so much!

Is the spine data in the correct format? We do not support Spine 3.

That is strange since the Spine version used was Version 3.6.53 since the start of the project on Defold and animations were working fine… does that mean they just worked where they shouldn’t have? Any tips for how to downgrade or what should we do?

The runtime data format, not the Spine software version, needs to be in 2.x format, not 3.x. You should be able to set export format in Preferences somewhere.

Hi britzl, thank you for the help, however we cannot seem to find anything in the Spine Settings or the Export Settings related to runtime data format, the bizarre part about it is everything was working fine… any more help will be appreciated…

You should be able to change the version of the Spine client under “Settings” and then export your scene. Note that if you have been creating your scene using features only available in Spine version >3 they may not work as expected when imported since we only support Spine versions 2 and below (apart from a few select features in Spine 3).

I can’t find any information about supported Spine versions in out docs though… We had it documented at one time but it might have gotten lost.

Would you mind sharing the JSON export and images? It would be interesting to take a look at the data, to rule out if it’s some specific Spine 3.x stuff or a bug. :thinking:

3 Likes

Hello sven, i sent you a direct message with the spine directory containing the images and the JSON, thank you!

We tried something similar and it didn’t seem to work :confused:

We added support to read some of 3.x tags in the json file, to make it even load. I’m guessing they’ve changed some again, even though they haven’t updated major version. (They do that from time to time)

1 Like

Thanks, tried it locally and it appears to be related to “twoColor keyframes” which we currently don’t support.

I’m not super familiar with newer Spine features, but I’ll do some quick investigations what “twoColor” actually does… Do you know if it can be implemented with regular color keyframes in Spine instead?

edit: Ok, so the feature is exposed as “Tint black” in the Spine editor:

Again, do you think you could implement the same animation using regular color keyframes/animation?

edit2: Just verified it in the Defold editor by removing all the occurrences of “twoColor” from the JSON after which it was able to load and render it.

3 Likes

Hello sven, thank you so much your modification was of good help to us, my friend who is familiar with Spine will resume with you with username “halfboltinteractive”, thank you!

1 Like

Hey Sven, we greatly appreciate your assistance in helping us pinpoint the issue and solve it.

Your discovery of the conflict of “twoColor keyframes” within Defold is a complete live saver! We weren’t using this feature within Spine with our prior animations, which explains why everything went smooth beforehand. I was experimenting with some animation effects and didn’t realize compatibility til’ you further looked into it.

We were using this feature primarily for indicating damage from the enemy by creating a colored blink. Technically we don’t need the “twoColor / Tint black” for what we’re doing… I just ticked the box for slots that use the effect within Spine. I then tested all the animations that use it and it works perfect in Defold with no compromise in quality or having to completely remove any keyframes.

3 Likes

Fantastic! :slight_smile:

We talked internally to avoid this stuff from popping up, since it’s very hard for users to know which features of Spine that is supported and not. Will try to update the docs with more information in this regard, but as a rule of thumb; Spine 2.x features should always work. :+1:

4 Likes