SPACEBAR doesn't work when pressing UP and LEFT? (SOLVED)

I’m just investigating Defold and working through the tutorials. The War Battles Tutorial appears to have an input bug where pressing the SPACEBAR doesn’t work if you are moving UP and LEFT. It’s fine for all other directions, however.

Weird.

Hmm, works fine for me.

Could be a programming bug but did you try and see in other applications if spacebar works with up and left?

Some low end keyboards use a design to reuse the hardware connections and have either a maximum number of keys or some keys conflict with each others.

1 Like

This is probably a keyboard issue, it have been mentioned before.

Ah OK. Not sure about being a cheap keyboard; it’s a Microsoft one.

Not sure how to check this with other apps.

Thanks for the replies.

Could you try adding a text-input trigger in your *.input_binding file, then check if you get a action.text entry with just a space character?

I’ll have to try that tonight at home - I was just reading through the tutorial at work during my lunch and playing with the HTML5 build on the tutorial page.

But then it won’t be the same keyboard etc :slight_smile:

1 Like

Try testing your keyboard with this: https://www.microsoft.com/appliedsciences/content/projects/AntiGhostingExplained.aspx

It’s not so much cheap keyboards as it is all keyboards that aren’t very old or specifically made to fix this problem (and therefore pretty expensive).

4 Likes

Yeah nice test. So as you say, SPACE doesn’t register when LEFT and UP are pressed.

So long-story-short: Default to WSAD instead of Cursor keys whenever possible?

1 Like

You can just add Z or some other button as an alternate action button. Some keyboards work just fine with the cursor keys and space, some don’t. IMO since WASD and the cursor keys use different hands, choosing one or the other should depend on your game type and audience.

OK guys, thanks for your help. It’s a long time since I’ve been to such a responsive forum!

5 Likes