I’m working on a straight forward space shooter a la Tyrian.
"A shmup without the stress of so many bullets"™.
For Android initially. Sprites are from Dan Cook, Tyrian game.
Super early gameplay recorded on Samsung Galaxy S7:
- Particles. I like particles. The engine sprays smoke and fire based on your speed.
- More particles when the player dies!
- Parallax background. Simple yet effective.
What more is needed to be done:
- Figure out a smart way to handle different screen sizes. Right now it’s 720x1280, but some have wider/narrower screens and I’m not sure how to do that yet.
- Gui! Will be tricky since I’m neither gfx artist nor designer, so programmer art will be mixed into it.
- Gameplay! Right now there is none basically. So:
– Thought out progress system.
– Enemy wave system.
– Level handling.
– Use for the pickup cash, maybe weapons upgrades.
– Many enemy types that fire stuff at you.
– Hazards, spikes/structures flying towards you for you to dodge.
– Bosses - even nastier enemies!
- Menu system with janitorial stuff like sound/music on/off, maybe clear your progress-button or something.
- Ad’s. Interstitial and video ads at the right moments. Realistically I’m not expecting more than a couple of downloads, looking at the competition in Google Play Store. But I can still use it as a motivator and trick myself into it believeing it’ll pay itself back eventually . Also, promote the game itself.
- A name/splash screen for the game.
What I’d like to do as well if there’s time:
- Shaders! I really want a crt/scanline type of shader going on but that stuff is still voodoo to me and I’m a bit lost in the render script handling. I found one on github but that didn’t work/compile to Android sadly.
- More of a narrative.
- Star system map to show level progress.
- Different environments - not only fight in space, maybe on different planets as well. Tyrian tilesets has tons of ground level stuff I could possibly use as a new looping background.
- Some sort of homing missiles for either the player or the enemies.
Wish the day had 48 hours instead! I have this idea for iterative development. Make the game read the enemy waves/events for a level from a json file served from a web server. That way I could have a gui on my server for designing this json data and design new levels and try out while commuting to/from work.