Slasher-prototype [open source]

UPD
Added a virtual gamepad. Based on public example by @britzl. There is multitouch supported at mobile. A test build works fine on Android. HTML5 demo detects single touch only.

7 Likes

Added to an asset portal:

12 Likes

I think now you can rebuild your example using 1.2.164

1 Like

Demo has been updated, thanks!
https://dragosha.github.io/slasher-prototype/

4 Likes

An another demo based on this prototype:
https://dragosha.com/lootia/

6 Likes

Update:

An ambient light changing example:

HTML5 demo also has been updated:
https://dragosha.github.io/slasher-prototype/

Repository:

18 Likes

The hero controller from slasher-prototype (changed 2d physics to 3d and Y coord to Z) + simple 3d environment + a bit light magic =

19 Likes

The high quality in visuals and design in this prototype is absolutely fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

Looks awesome, thanks for such a good example!

2 Likes

Do you plan on pushing that to a separate branch by any chance?

Tried to add normal mapping texture to the mesh.
Off:

On:

Which is better?

Maybe later as shaders example.

8 Likes

normal mapping really great. Add great improvement effect.
How did you do ?
Shader ?
Specific rendering pipeline ?

1 Like

Additional “normals” texture + shader that adding this normal to mesh polygons normal vector when diffuse lights calculation.

8 Likes

I played around with normal maps a while ago, and it really does make a big difference.

Your latest screenshot looks awesome.

Have you tried measuring the performance impacts of toggling the various features on/off? I’m sure PC’s have no issue with it, but I’m curious about mobile.

1 Like

I’ve tested this on Pixel2XL (~3y/o) and it works smoothly. iPad 2018, iPad pro 2017 works too and better than on my Macbook pro 2015 (13", integreted video). On iPad mini2 demo didn’t start.
I think a main performance issue is a big semi-transparent zones overdraw scene behind them. I noticed Nintendo Switch drops down FPS in “2d” games that have huge overlaped planes (parallax background and front, textured fog), but works smooth in 3d game where is polygon culling. My demo is a mix of polygons mesh with culling and sprites. Of course all need tuning.

2 Likes

I realize I don’t have the latest code for the prototype, but I just wanted to share a video of the game running on Nintendo Switch (because it’s easy to do ^^)

(sorry I had to downscale/shorten it to make it upload here)

13 Likes

today i was try it, but after downloaded from github repo, export in a folder and open inside defold, defold (after 100% loaded project) crash and close itself. I cannot open the project :frowning:

it because the project use old Spine runtime and json for Spine models. To open this project as is you need an outdate Defold editor version, perhaps any version dated last year. You can download it here Defold Downloads to try project. (both editor version may works in the same time)

1 Like

what version do you suggest to me? Already suggested the 1.2.192 version, it opens but noi i don’t have the builtins/materials/spine.material file. How can i solve it? Nice work anyway! I want to study this project to learn how to do 2.5d games and tomorrow a 3d game mixed with 2d like your games

Add Spine extension version below 2 as dependency. This one is the last old Spine runtime (before transition to official Spine extesion): Release Fixed IK target url · defold/extension-spine · GitHub