RPG runner - a finite runner with a handcrafted level

https://adiowa.itch.io/rpg-runner

[update]
Final build, posting here before we head off to King office for judgement day. If you download now from itch.io (same link) you should be able to get web, ios, windows and html versions. Unfortunately the html version still lags even after doing a release build, not sure why :confused:

[original]
Be sure to enable full screen! :slight_smile: camera is a bit messed up at the moment.

RPG runner is a finite running game with a handcrafted level. Your goal is
to collect as many coins as possible, avoid the threats and upgrade your
character.

Today marks the last day of the second (out of three) weeks of production.
All types of feedback and comments are welcomed, and we’ll post the game next
week aswell!

Controlls:

Up arrow key / left mouse click - JUMP

H key – RESET (good if you fall through map/get stuck)

If the itch.io playable doesnt work, you can download the game here:
http://adiowa.se/buildweek2king.zip

11 Likes

Nice work! I really like the graphics!
I started running the game in Chrome, but the performance was really low. In Safari however, it was good :slight_smile:

I think the performance in Chrome could get a lot better if you bundle a release build instead, since the engine does more webgl error checks in the debug build.

2 Likes

Yup, it was slow in Chrome for me as well. A release build should improve the performance quite a bit.

1 Like

Are you using custom shaders or anything like that?

1 Like

I love the graphics!

Really nice pixel art!

It was slow for me too on Mac chrome

1 Like

That’s a function we run in the debug builds, and in Chrome, it’s very slow. Hence the suggestion to bundle a release build.

2 Likes

What would be causing it to run so much in this situation?

1 Like

It’s a function that we call in between various opengl calls, in order to verify that everything went ok. I’m not sure why the Chrome implementation is so slow.

2 Likes

Info here

1 Like

Nope, it’s probably as they said the release build problem! :slight_smile:

Next build we’ll do a release one. Thanks for the feedback! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The game played nicely when opened in Safari. Got extremely frustrated losing almost instantly the first few times I played but then figured out that by holding in the left mouse button I was able to jump higher - played about 30 times in a row to master my moves - then decided I should maybe play the other teams games as well. Well done! Look forward to see the final submission. Graphics and level design - Two thumbs up!

5 Likes

The theme, color scheme, and art style all work great together! The level design looks great, and feels like something you would find in a completed game. I liked how I could take the higher route in the beginning; makes me feel like a pro. It will be exciting to see what you have at the end of the project!

Like graphics! Great first playable.
Do you think you could visualise (or make me somehow feel) I am holding the jump button somehow?
I need that feeling of awesomeness of this core game mechanic.

Updated the build! :slight_smile:

2 Likes