Remote Desktop Defold

While sorting out how to have a remote Defold setup I managed to get RDP working on my server and a working remote Defold instance that runs the application ok as well.

The following is a short and simple guide.
On whatever machine you are running a docker server spin up this docker using the instructions provided:

I had to open RDP port 3389 as well (on the server side).

Then log into the RDP using your favorite client - default log/pw are ubuntu:ubuntu.
Open firefox and download - Defold linux (tar.gz) version
Open a terminal window and type:

cd Downloads
tar -xvf Defold-x86_64-linux.tar.gz

This will unpack Defold and you are almost ready to go.
At this point you can startup Defold but building and running anything will result in an error.
Go back to the terminal windows and type:

sudo apt update                            <------------ This will ask for password. Use ubuntu
sudo apt-get install libglu1-mesa
sudo apt-get install libopenal-dev

And now restart Defold. Download a sample tutorial game, and run it. All is good!!
Now you can remote develop with Defold as much as you like, and for multiplayer testing this can be very useful as well.

If you have any questions or want to see how it runs (perf is very dependent on server, connection speed and other network factors) let me know.

Little pic running on my Win11 desktop. Running the colorslide tutorial on a remote server.

WARNING: I should have noted, that running this on a server without GPU accel will have quite poor performance for 3D. Most 2D is ok (not great), but this is more for testing and not really common development (if you do use local server you can get better GPU accel too).

5 Likes