Rebel Squad

Awesome Ben! You spent a lot of time on this! :wink:

The game hang for me too here, after picking up a machine gun ammo and then trying to move further:

1 Like

Thanks for the crash reports. I’ll look into those asap.

3 Likes

I’ve decided to resurrect this previously shelved project and give it a release of sorts. Rebel Squad was supposed to be my masterpiece but it ultimately beat me, exceeding my technical abilities.

Nonetheless it is quite playable and mostly works, aside from the odd bug. Couldn’t get the HTML5 build to run consitently so I’ve not included that in this release.

10 Likes

Didn’t know you had those. What was the issue, if I may ask?

1 Like

Mostly to do with the state system. The game loop path is not at all consitent with many possible detours, particularly in the areas of opportunity fire swapping back and forth between sides, grenades causing chaos etc. It was too much to hold in my head and the project became too fragile to work on.

5 Likes

That’s a bummer. I was looking forward to this. I’ll check it out when I get home from work!

1 Like

If you don’t mind, what was the general programming design that you used? Did you use an Entity Component type system? Cheers in advance.

I use a finite state machine for all my games. This particular one has a lot more states than usual and is controlled by a series of gui scripts (one for each state).

3 Likes

Thanks Ben. I found some of your source posted on here. I am learning a lot. It’s amazing how effective the simple approach is using Defold. I’m going to simplify my approach from now on. Thanks for the response.

Yep, I highly recommend going for not over-engineering things from the start. Use simple and quick’n’dirty where ever you can to keep momentum and not get bogged down into details. Especially early on in a project where it’s important to test ideas and game play and not code large and complex systems.

I had the privilege of working with the code for one of Bens games when we adapted it for release on Game Distribution (also on Poki and soon on Nintendo Switch). The simple approach taken by Ben makes it super easy for someone else (in this case me) to pick up the code and quickly make changes!

5 Likes