Oh no! Cubixpix has not been discouraged by Mulu, and wants to do a new game!
This is …
Project D.O.P.E (Defold Objective : Platformer Excellence)
(As i don’t have a cool name to provide, DOPE will be a nice development title.)
I want to do another platformer, which of course will perform better than Mulu.
Mulu had two goals: learning Defold, and doing a complet project with it.
Now, i want to do a real platformer, which you can enjoy playing. Vast topic…
For the moment, i have just thought about general structure, and tools to be used.
Graphics & animations
Tiled instead of Defold internal editor
cut-out animations ? I don’t have spine license, we use COA-Tools from Andreas Esau.
– export to png ?
– or writting a coa to spine converter, as both of them export in JSON format.
changing size sprites (for collision mask)
– using sprites or tiles ? Tiles could give use accurate collisions masks more easily ?
multi-resolution: can change the resolution of the game (not tied to 1024x768 as Mulu).
some sprites problems should be solved (no more strange behaviour at the top of a ladder).
Camera used : i like the @Britzl camera.
Music & Sound
A module (s3m, xm, it…) ? OGG music ?
– arguments for module player : the size of a module !
– arguments against : not supported in Defold.
– arguments for OGG : simplicity to use.
– arguments against OGG : size, quality, playback is not enough accurate for good synchronisation with game.
If module used and replayed (not converted to OGG):
– need probably OpenAL Extension. I doubt i can use pure Lua mod player with output on Defold API
– FMOD may be ? But seems overkill.
– Using native extensions, adapting a module replayer (dumb, mikmod…) ?
For sounds, Defold API should be enough.
Building and distribution
Using the cli tools for building (BOB), instead of building inside the editor.
Upload to website with version number and check the upload at the end, all done by script.
And that’s all for today.
Thank you for reading