Problems when bundling for iOS with a framework

I am integrating the Mixpanel framework for iOS and Defold has problems with some of it’s files.

• Image files somehow have invalid header (getting I/O error), but open fine in editors.
  • Some files have “~” character in it’s name, but Defold says it’s an illegal character (it’s not).

PNGs are inside the framework.
https://github.com/mixpanel/mixpanel-iphone/releases/download/v3.5.0/Mixpanel.framework.zip

0 Likes

We added restriction for ~as a extra safety measure to not be able to include things from the home folder. And, tbh, I’ve never seen that character used in filenames. Why they couldn’t just use - is beyond me.

We can probably change that at some point.
Workaround is ofc to rename the files for now.

0 Likes

But renaming will probably break the extension? Won’t find it’s storyboard.

0 Likes

Ah, ofc. Then I don’t know of any workaround right now.

0 Likes

What about failing to build due to PNG files?
I think the builder shouldn’t even care about PNG files inside frameworks.

0 Likes

We just add the frameworks to the command line.
What is the error you’re getting?
And why is there a png inside it?

0 Likes

I am getting

/mixpanel/lib/ios/Mixpanel.framework/MPArrowLeft@2x.png
	I/O error reading PNG header!

when trying to build with this framework. I had to resave each PNG file for Defold to stop complaining, they open in editors just fine. It’s not the first time I stumble across such problem.
Some frameworks include UI elements, hence storyboards and images.

0 Likes

It seems like bob doesn’t like the png files. I get:

javax.imageio.IIOException: I/O error reading PNG header!
	at java.desktop/com.sun.imageio.plugins.png.PNGImageReader.readHeader(PNGImageReader.java:315)
	at java.desktop/com.sun.imageio.plugins.png.PNGImageReader.readMetadata(PNGImageReader.java:698)
	at java.desktop/com.sun.imageio.plugins.png.PNGImageReader.readImage(PNGImageReader.java:1395)
	at java.desktop/com.sun.imageio.plugins.png.PNGImageReader.read(PNGImageReader.java:1810)
	at java.desktop/javax.imageio.ImageIO.read(ImageIO.java:1468)
	at java.desktop/javax.imageio.ImageIO.read(ImageIO.java:1363)
	at com.dynamo.bob.pipeline.TextureGenerator.generate(TextureGenerator.java:317)
	at com.dynamo.bob.pipeline.TextureBuilder.build(TextureBuilder.java:49)
	at com.dynamo.bob.Project.runTasks(Project.java:1010)
	at com.dynamo.bob.Project.doBuild(Project.java:811)
	at com.dynamo.bob.Project.build(Project.java:438)
	at com.dynamo.bob.Bob.main(Bob.java:558)
Caused by: javax.imageio.IIOException: Bad length for IHDR chunk!
	at java.desktop/com.sun.imageio.plugins.png.PNGImageReader.readHeader(PNGImageReader.java:247)

If I resave the image within the .framework bob no longer complains about the images but instead we stop at the ~ character in the filenames. We’ll change this on the build server to only prevent it if the path starts with a tilde character.

1 Like