Pre-Configured Bundling?

Hey!

At the moment, I’m working with a small team who are hard at working making a large-scale PC game, and we’re using Defold to do that. We’re super excited to see just how much we can squeeze out of this awesome engine you’ve created, even if your target is more mobile than PC (our target). Most small issues, we can factor away using custom rendering scripts and the likes.

However, one big quality-of-life problem that’s really annoying is the bundling. We have a team of 3 QA testers who operate over multiple platforms for testing purposes. We’re targeting Windows, OSX and Linux, but every time we want to create a build, the following needs to happen from a developer.

1. Project -> Bundle -> Windows Application -> Package -> Wait
  2. Project -> Bundle -> OSX Application -> Package -> Wait
  3. Project -> Bundle -> Linux Application -> Package -> Wait

Is there any way we can get some method of speeding this up? Ideally a button or menu option to simple “bundle all” and have the settings of what/how the bundles are generated configured under preferences? The packaging/deployment of the bundles is handled by our scripts, but short of creating a tacky macro script, this is an annoying bottle-neck, especially when releasing builds rapidly throughout the day!

Thanks!

Just look at this topic Build and bundle for multiple platforms from the command line

There Python script to make all building and bundling for multiple platforms

1 Like

Hey, thanks for pointing me to that! Not sure why it didn’t come up in the suggested posts when I was searching.

Python wasn’t ideal for this situation, so I re-wrote the script (more or less) in PHP. Figured I’d share it here if anyone wants to salvage it for their own use. It uses WinRAR instead of something more sane, but that’s easily changeable.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing an alternative. It should be possible to do the same thing using a .bat file as well to not have it dependent upon having PHP installed. And for Mac and Linux a bash script would be feasible as well.

1 Like