PlayFab API Implementation

https://community.playfab.com/content/idea/4767/defold-sdk-api-support.html

Made a request on their forum. If you would like to upvote that post it would help! Like + Star

I’m still going ahead with my own version for now.

1 Like

I like that they have a lot of authentication methods in their Client API! A Defold Library project providing a nicely wrapped version of their API would be cool.

3 Likes

So I have been in contact with the developers previously and actually talked to them today about this. Their normal approach is to let them engine community themselves start creating a working api as they have their SDK generator which can be tweaked for general purposes.

Also i have fiddled some with the rest API as well and might think that a custom engine written specifically for Defold could be a better way as we can take advantages using the messagesystem and coroutines whenever needed.

Specifically the login is a very complex part and behaviour may vary depending on your game and how you want to merge different accounts. I have some flowchart lying around somewhere how I believe I would set it up. Let’s see if I could find it somewhere.

Nevertheless… Playfab is an excellent service for lots of games and I would definitely recommend people take a look at it before maybe writing their own server solutions.

6 Likes

Marco from PlayFab here, I head up our SDK team.
It is nice to meet you all and we love that you guys are taking interest in PlayFab.

Here is a PDF of PlayFabLogin Best Practices that shows the complexity of Login with PlayFab.

Andreas, we should definitely start-up our conversation again about getting the PlayFab - Defold SDK created.

Thanks,
Marco G. Williams

8 Likes

@Pkeod have you made any progress with your PlayFab lib? Do you need any help? Or should I get cracking and see what I can put together?

2 Likes

Please do!

I was going to work on it today but if you are willing to there are other things I need to do.

1 Like

I have a working implementation for a subset of the features in playfab that I can send you as a starting point if you haven’t started already

Could you share as a zip attachment here?

Thanks. I’m working together with the PlayFab guys to get a full version of their API ready for Defold. They have a full client API specification in JSON format that can be used to generate code to make the API calls. We’ll keep you updated on our progress.

2 Likes

Really good news!!

I found new repo by playfab https://github.com/PlayFab/LuaSdk

1 Like

Excellent, it seems like they’ve released a bit ahead of time. Very good news!

The Defold library dependencies can be found here: https://github.com/PlayFab/LuaSdk/tree/master/Defold

1 Like

Don’t use this yet. It’s based on my version of the generated API. I will update it now.

1 Like

The example project is now updated.

4 Likes

Thank you! Super awesome! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Made some general changes, updated register to work in the example, made pull requests for changes.

1 Like

Brilliant! Thanks.

1 Like

I have made some pretty major updates to my public PlayFab example. The sample now has a much more reasonable authentication flow where the user is automatically signed in using a generated id. The user can then opt to upgrade the account to use username and password.

I’m starting to feel happy with the example and will probably leave it as is until someone asks for some specific improvements or some examples of how to use specific PlayFab API methods.

7 Likes