Plan on writing Microphone input native extension, what should I know?

Hey! Update for anyone still interested in this.

I’ve been able to get the extension to completely work for Windows. I haven’t continued MacOS/iOS yet as I decided to work on the HTML5 port. Over the weeks all these platforms had their own challenges but this isn’t impossible, and I’m getting there.

HTML5 is 99% complete, but the larger the WAV data, the larger the number in the report of “Request animation took [time] ms”. I just need to get that taken care of and that will be 100% done (hopefully if there are no other bugs i find along the way).

EDIT: Alright, the problem with HTML5 has been fixed, so full compatibility with that has been achieved.

Since for MacOS/iOS I’m probably also going to be using openAL thanks to the compatibility of objective C/C++ in .mm files and openAL Soft ports for Mac, I just need to find out what’s causing the crash when attempting to get microphone permission.

No work has been made yet for Android.

6 Likes

For my part, I am pausing my fmod approach on the Mac side. I have no indication in the console and after inspecting the fmod bridge code, I found that the log/instrumentation part is not covered yet. It remains a difficult task to do in the state of my knowledge…