Pirate Battle

Yay! Welcome to the forum and congrats on the progress you’re making on the game!

I was expecting this to work.

1 Like

I just tried now to remove the collision object, and that code works.
so looks like game object with physics and spine works weird together.

1 Like

Ah, yes, there’s a bug with collision shapes becoming upside down when rotated (DEF-1117).

1 Like

@Mathias_Westerdahl has promised to take a look at DEF-1117, but no guarantees that we’ll release a fix in the next release.

1 Like

@britzl ok! for now I see the alternative in using 2 gameObjects: one for SpineModel, other for CollisionObject.

1 Like

progress:

rw1_port2

made all items from list above and for characters I use collection with spine component and gameobject with collision object. Then in update of the first:

go.set_position(go.get_position(self.linkBody), PATH_SPINE)

Very big thanks @ross.grams for the help in development of Predictive trajectory line of GameObject

what is next:

• add complex objects as a large pirate ship and stones. (thinking how to generate multiple static collision object components) using Defold Polygon Editor and PhysicsEditor
  • screen fade effects: black fade in/out when changing game screens and white flash effect after a grenade explosion
  • test on andoid! I’m getting excited to check out the game on mobiles. but first need to write scale manager. any tips with it are welcome! :slight_smile:
13 Likes

Lovely aesthetics and animations, @BunBunBun! Looking forward to playing it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What is the scale manager supposed to do? There are camera extensions in out Asset Portal that will help you set up your screen in a way that works on many different screen resolutions and aspect ratios.

2 Likes

now i’m using your defold-orthographic camera. Is the orthographic camera in Rendercam can do same things? I see follow, shake, but is there deadzone for camera also?

1 Like

Yes, I believe the feature set is very similar. I think Rendercam has a recoil() function as well, but that could easily be added to defold-orthographic as well.

1 Like

as I understand recoil() function need for shake effect. right? :slight_smile:
I’m looking for camera.deadzone and camera.bounds in Rendercam or scalemodes in defold-orthographic…

The recoil function is kind of like a camera shake, only just in one direction. Deadzone and Bounds features are in-progress (they work fine, just not for all the camera types that Rendercam supports) thanks to @selimanac. Use https://github.com/rgrams/rendercam/archive/dev.zip as your dependency link if you want to try them out.

I only have one android device for testing, so I honestly don’t know how well Rendercam’s scale modes work on devices with different resolutions, but I will try to fix things if they don’t work as expected. (I’ve tested them pretty thoroughly with variable window sizes on desktop.)

5 Likes

nice! okay I will re-write the camera in my game and will test and inform a result.

1 Like

How does the scale modes work in Rendercam? It sounds like the same as one of the predefined projectors of defold-orthographic.

Rendercam has four scale modes:

• Expand View: Keeps the same pixel scale, just shows more or less area depending on the window resolution
  • Fixed Area: Scales to render the same area, regardless of window size and proportion
  • Fixed Width: Always renders the same width, expands/contracts height to fit window
  • Fixed Height: Always renders the same height, expands/contracts width to fit window

On the asset library page I have some demo images for each mode (though the difference can be subtle).

5 Likes

Ah, I see. So that’s equivalent to this config value for my camera: https://github.com/britzl/defold-orthographic/blob/master/README.md#projection-hash

Those are the predefined ones but you can also provide your own function to calculate the projection matrix: https://github.com/britzl/defold-orthographic/blob/master/README.md#cameraadd_projectorprojector_id-projector_fn

I probably need to simplify the docs and provide nice looking pictures just like you did…

4 Likes

@britzl yes! projection FIXED, looks like the Fixed_Height in Rendercam. that’s I need.
but it would be useful to add main projections such as Fixed Width for example.

@ross.grams I’ve tested today your camera. all works fine. only one issue with the order of arguments:
in docs:

rendercam.set_bounds(left, right, top, bottom, [cam_id])

but in the rendercam.lua:

M.set_bounds(left, top, right, bottom, cam_id)

same with set_follow_deadzone function

Thank you all guys!

1 Like

whooouuups . . . :anguished: good thing that’s still in the dev branch. I will fix it first thing tomorrow!!!

OK, I fixed it so it’s consistently: left, right, top, bottom. I made a separate branch, I suggest you switch your dependency link to this: https://github.com/rgrams/rendercam/archive/2.0Beta.zip - since I may make more breaking changes on the ‘dev’ branch. Thanks for testing!

3 Likes

new progress, all gameplay features and levels are ready.

also added GUI, paused state, finish/win popup, music, voices. sfx in progress

in to-do-list:

• save system, haven’t checked DefSave yet
  • add comics
  • level menu
  • shop menu
  • congrats screen
  • balance the damage system
  • test on iOS. is it possible to do it without developer account?
14 Likes

It was a while but we are back with news!

We finally did it!

Our team:
Martijn Kunst - producer
Stanislav Borisov - art, animation
Endel Dreyer @endel - backend with Colyseus framework
Anton Karlov - GUI work
Me (Nikita Borisov) - gameplay, custom physics engine

We are so exited about working together, everyone did his job with passion and active input.

It was 2 years of pain and blood (estimated 6 months lol) But lesson learned - better to do good planning in advance. And now it’s fun to see now the progress from first message on this topic and look back into history. :smiley:

Let me know your feedback!
We plan release for mobile in 2020

Thanks a lot for Defold team for this amazing engine.

21 Likes