Particles in editor not working in 1.2.165

Each time I try to start a particle system in the Editor I get an error window reporting:

java.lang.AssertionError: Assert failed: (= 0 (mod (.limit buffer) (:vertex-size layout)))

On the other hand, all particle systems work fine in the engine.

This is what I am using:

Please help!

Thanks!

EDIT: if I press “Dismiss” on the error window I see animated strange lines instead of the particles. This looks like there is some incompatibility in the particle data for the editor…

1 Like

Does this happen for all particle fx or just one? Does it happen in an empty project? Mac, Windows or Linux?

It happens for all particle fx of my project, for new particle fx of the same project and also for new particle fx in a new empty project.

macOS Catalina, 10.15.2
graphic card: Radeon Pro 570 4 GB

Particle fx preview was working fine with 1.2.164

1 Like

I have tested the particle fx preview on a different mac, this time a mac book air. Same problem: particle fx cannot be previewed in Editor but work fine in game.

macOS Catalina, 10.15.3
graphic card: Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536MB.
Same engine and editor SHA1 as above.

Any idea how to solve this blocking problem?

Thanks!

Yes, I have a sneaking suspicion that this is caused by the notarization process for macOS. I bet it works fine on Windows and Linux in 1.2.165. I will investigate.

1 Like

Same problem happened on Windows in 1.2.165
Particles editor don’t work.

The same error reporting:
“java.lang.AssertionError: Assert failed: (= 0 (mod (.limit buffer) (:vertex-size layout)))”
But particle system work fine in the engine.

PS: for your reference, after downgrade version to 1.2.164, particles editor came back, work fine, but i have to recreate all atlas file, it seems incompatible between 1.2.164 and 1.2.165.

2 Likes

Let me make an unrequested, blind and surely wrong guess (for which I apologize in advance): you are not informing the “editor particle fx player” about the vertex number of the sprite used by the particle system. In other words, I guess this bug is related to sprite trim.

However, it is really strange that this bug escaped the internal and beta test process…

1 Like

Good guess, but the vertex format for particles hasn’t changed (nor has the vertex format for sprites or gui), and particles aren’t using sprite trimming (yet). But I don’t rule anything out :wink:

Good info about the Win32 particles not working either

1 Like

Yes indeed! My assumption about the shared particlefx playback lib not being signed was wrong. We’re working on a fix that will reach the editor-alpha channel (ie the channel you should be on with the default editor) when we are done.

1 Like

We found the problem and have made a fix. A new version should be available as an update within the hour.

As you all know we’re working on Vulkan support in the engine and it was a vertex format change in the runtime that had an unfortunate side effect of breaking the particle fx playback in the editor (the editor runs the same code as the editor when playing a pfx).

4 Likes

The editor should now be available through the “update” button.

3 Likes

And it works perfectly for me!

Thank you so much for the incredible fast fix of this! Great work as usual!

Ciao, Rocco.

3 Likes