OpenJDK hangs on Defold startup

Has anyone else seen this issue?

I’m running Windows 10 x64 21H2 and when I start Defold for the first time (after I log into Windows), it just hangs, and I have to kill the OpenJDK Platform binary process from Task Manager. Then if I restart Defold everything works fine.

This is a consistent issue on three separate Windows machines I use. I’m surprised that a search of the forums did not show anyone else having this issue. I don’t know what could be causing it… are there any log files I could look into to that might shed some light on this?

I have not heard of this issue before. Where are you running Defold from? Program Files or somewhere in your user home folder?

AntiVirus software getting in the way?

Editor logs: Editor overview

I run Defold from:

C:\Development Tools\Environments\Defold\

I’ll check my virus software, but I would expect it to never start, instead of hanging on fist startup, but working subsequently after the OpenJDK Platform binary task was killed once (I mean it starts a new one when Defold is started the second time, and it works from then on).

I’ll dig into the logs too, to see if there is anything of note in there.

What if your run it from somewhere in user home? Or if your run as administrator?

I’ll try running as admin next time I boot up.

In the meantime here are my logs from cold boot and after killing the openjdk process (and restarting defold). I do see some warnings and errors in there. These are the same file, just at two different points, so the second log just has some additional appended lines.

editor2.2022-01-30_1.txt (145.0 KB)
editor2.2022-01-30_2.txt (167.5 KB)

2022-01-30 14:28:56.329 1959 [Thread-4] INFO  com.defold.libs.ResourceUnpacker - defold.unpack.path=C:\Users\Xorcist\AppData\Local\Defold\unpack\229b4dbc78495615871b3a7679e79d75d018c27a
2022-01-30 14:28:56.356 1986 [Thread-4] ERROR com.defold.editor.Start - failed to extract native libs
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Can't load library: C:\Development Tools\Environments\Defold\natives\windows-amd64\\gluegen-rt.dll

the path to:
C:\Users\Xorcist\AppData\Local\Defold\unpack\229b4dbc78495615871b3a7679e79d75d018c27a
definitely exists
path1

but the path to:
C:\Development Tools\Environments\Defold\natives\windows-amd64\gluegen-rt.dll
does not.
path2

Which version of Defold are you using?

With the last update it’s now 1.2.191.

I actually decided to clean out the folders, and re-install (i.e. unzip + run) Defold to see if that fixes anything.

Have you tried running as administrator?

Have you tried running Defold when unpacked in user home?

No I haven’t tried either of those yet, as it appears the clean/re-install seems to have fixed the issue (at least for now). If the issue reoccurs I will attempt a “run as” admin.

1 Like