One Step Behind (RPG-shmup thingamabob with way too much lore)

Thanks to you too!
^-^

November 7th, 2022.

Wau, it’s been quite a while. Not as long as I thought it’d be, but pretty long nonetheless.

Well, I’m starting to work a bit more on OSB again, and since it was planned to be a series, I’ll start on the zeroth games first.

I have a neat little numbering system for it, with the whole numbers (x) being mainline titles, x.2 being fighting games, x.5 being a Metroidvania/Castlevania-type thing, and x.7 being… well, something about 3D creepypasta. That part isn’t really fleshed out yet.

So I’m starting work on OSB 0. Yes, 0. The pre-1 series is meant to be a sort of engine test, to give the player an idea of what they’re getting into, along with an introduction to my world that I’ve developed over the, ah, six or so years? Yeah. That way, the player won’t be so surprised if they pop open OSB 1 and see all the different terminology and conlangs and whatnot (given they play the games in order).

In the meantime, you get to see how an attempt 2 at tiling went.

I’d say it went… well, better than the first time. At least the textures don’t cut off so abruptly with the grass and walls that you’d be able to tell immediately where they’re separated.

With that said, I will be seeing everyone around.
This is ZaTimou, signing off. :sparkles:

4 Likes

December 24th, 2022.

Merry h*cking Christmas!
I know I haven’t been posting much about OSB, but that’s because I’ve been only working on-and-off on it. There’s not much to say, except for…

The first demo is out!

Yes, that’s right, OSB 0’s first demo is being released today!
:D

Enjoy!

…Though, I’ll say right now…
The current demo (v Demo 0.0.1) has about three minutes of content, if you know where everything is. There’s not much, but it’s a start. :sparkles:
Oh well!
Enjoy whatever there is to enjoy here, then!

Have fun, and have a jolly holiday!

This is ZaTimou, signing off. :sparkles:

5 Likes

January 5th, 2023.

Happy belated New Years!
I’m just popping in to say that another update was uploaded just now.
It’s probably not really worth the download, though :P
I’ve added very few things to it anyways.
It’s not much, but it’s something, I guess.

Hey, at least I was able to figure out how to do color blending!

I totally didn’t BS my way through that one

Anyways.
If you do end up downloading the new patch, you can enjoy a whopping one extra minute of content!

In the meantime, I’m going to get started on working on the encounter systems, as planned with the two being Bullet Hell (BH) and RPG. Hopefully they’ll be there in the next patch.
Hopefully.

That’s all I have for now.
This is ZaTimou, signing off :sparkles:

5 Likes

I see your first post was Dec 2020, so that’s three years of game dev right there! Well done. As someone who has a short demo after around 10 years of development I have to say, I’m impressed with your progress in such a short time.

4 Likes

Thank you!
:sparkles:

January 29th, 2023.

Hullo again!
After finishing another mod for a certain game out there (for fun, and out of boredom), I found some more motivation to use for gamedevving!

There’s not much that happened, but I’d like to share what I’ve got.

For starters, the game is no longer (completely) silent!
I’ve added sound for the textboxes, when typing out (which is another thing I totally didn’t BS my way into figuring out).

There are four different voiceblip types (square, saw, sine, and double-square), with three pitches each. There’s also the default clikety-clakety of the default type, when there’s no voiceblip selected.

I’ve also started working on the Bullet Hell scenarios. You’re going to be spending some time flying, after all. In a world where most can fly, it’s not a surprise there’ll be other people flying about too.

For now, I was able to get bullets to spawn and collision to work. Both things work like a charm :sparkles:

Of course, I haven’t really worked on the health system, so all that pops up when you get hit is

Oh! That’s right!
I’ve updated the Itch page again, and now a new version is out (v0.0.1c). It’s not the version with the stuff in this current dev build yet (v0.0.1d), but it still has a bit more to it. I think I was able to keep the promise about having some part of the BH encounter system ready for that patch? Yea, something like that. Though, the only way to get there either through secret path A or “secret” path B, and all you get is a softlock where you can fly forever. It’s probably not worth. :P

Anyways, that’s all I have for now.

7 Likes

February 4th, 2023.

Hullo again!
I’ve slapped together enough for me to call it an update, and so update version Demo 0.0.1d is now released!

Just a bit of an overview of what’s new:

• Doors!
    Took me long enough, didn’t it? -w-"

• Interaction spots!
    A smol bubble icon will appear over places places you can interact. These are more for hidden things that can be interacted with, not NPCs or other things that are more visible, if that makes any sense.

• Flight scenarios!
    There are currently four of them, I think. Sometimes, it’s triggered through an interaction spot.
    A few bullets here and there may greet you. Happy dodging! (…not that the bullets hurt yet.)

• New Areas!
    (Actually, this one is kind of a lie. I just re-added an old one I removed before :P)

• New NPCs!
    Yup. They show up in two of the flight scenarios. I don’t quite have individual names yet, but their species name is Che’ai, and they’re akin to fairies here on Earth.

Oh right, there’s sound now. I forgot about that. Not quite music yet, but sound nonetheless.

Go check it out if you’d like :sparkles:

That’s all for now.

4 Likes

Any chance of a HTML5 build for us mac users??

That thought has never really crossed my mind. Maybe I should make a thing for Mac users as well⠀:P

The point being I never really planned anything for Mac because I couldn’t test it myself, so I feared some things may show up for them but not on Windows -w-"

Maybe next update?