On screen keyboard bug on Galaxy S5 (SOLVED)

That is super! Could you please tell me as soon as there is a beta version that I can test so we can upload a fixed version as soon as possible? Thanks!

I am sorry to say that this seems to be an android os issue. Unity are having the same issue:

http://www.tasharen.com/forum/index.php?topic=12380.0

We have asked our Android platform partnership team to see if they can get more information about this. We will get back to you when we know more.

It seems the Unity issue might be the same as the user with Moto X is experiencing, but I am more unsure regarding SwiftKey. Also, it seems the Unity issue happens when using an InputField, but (unless you are using a hidden one below the surface) that is not the case here?

It seems to not be related to SwiftKey in our case, I have reproduced in on Nexus devices without SwiftKey installed. Unfortunately there does not seem to be any workaround, and it will work on some android configurations and some other not.

It is unclear what exactly is causing this, but it seems to be an issue with the android system software rather than anything in the app.

1 Like

Yes, but it is related to SwiftKey (but I do not think that bug is necessarily technically the same as the one on Nexus devices, event though the behaviour is the same). I have two users where we have confirmed the behaviour with SwiftKey on, and confirmed that it works when turning SwiftKey off

Alright, good to know.

I have investigated this further since this is a breaking issue for us. I have talked to a user who has a MotoX and I have installed SwiftKey on a test device. I have tried different solutions and workarounds and we are getting the exact same behaviour: Defold takes input before it is propagated to the keyboard and it never reaches the keyboard.

The strange thing is: I have another project using the exact same input code and there it works (I have created a gui helper library that both projects share that handles input)

I am sorry that this issue is taking a lot of time. We are still in dialogue with google for the Nexus key board issues, and we have reported an issue to the swift key support. For some devices with updated OS versions both swift key and soft keyboard works. So if you have more device information with version information, just throw it at us. Thanks.

If I look at the commenters on Google Play who have stated they have this bug, the following devices and OS versions are included (not sure wether it is Swift Key or device who is the culprit):

Moto X (ghost), Android 5.1
MeMO Pad 10 (ME102A) (K00F), Android 4.2
OnePlus One (A0001), Android 5.0
LG-D150 (w35), Android 4.4
HTC Desire 310 (htc_v1_u), Android 4.2
NW-F880 Series (icx1237), Android 4.1
LG-D157f (w35ds), Android 4.4
DROID Turbo (quark), Android 5.1
Liquid Z500 (acer_Z500), Android 4.4
ZenFone 5 (ASUS_T00F), Android 5.0 (probably SwiftKey)
MeMO Pad 10 (ME102A) (K00F), Android 4.2

2 Likes

@Ingela_Garneij: It would be interesting to do the same for Blossom Blast Saga. Are we seeing the same reported issue for one of our games, to which extent and on which devices?

1 Like

I have created a game, using the same code, that does not have the issue - so it might very well be that BBS has no problems at all.

1 Like

Oh, so it’s only in Hammerwatch this happens?

1 Like

Of my projects - Yes

1 Like

I looked at this again yesterday, found some oddities on what native events were reported by the OS when the keyboard was shown in landscape mode on certain devices… Haven’t pinned down the reason or a solution yet, but just want to let you know I am looking into it.

1 Like

That is interesting - the other project is in Portrait, so you may be on to something there

1 Like

@britzl this issue only occurs for games in landscape mode, why Blossom does not have this issue.

Ah, ok, that explains it. Well, let’s hope @sven’s investigation resulted in a solution to this problem.

1 Like

A quick update;

In the upcoming release we have a new alternative input method available on Android devices. This new mode can be switched on as an option in the game.project file.
The method works better when I tested on the devices that previously had issues with keyboard input, especially in landscape and third party keyboards such as SwiftKey. More information when the release is available as stable (planned for Monday 25/1).

Also, adding the issue number for this to the title.

1 Like

A fix for this, DEF-1461, is available in 1.2.73: Defold 1.2.73 has been released

1 Like

Hi…
Well i don’t have great idea about other models except HTC Desire 310 because i also own this device from past 5 months. And one day i also face this same issue and suddenly my keyboard get hang and stop working properly. Then i google this issue but unfortunately i get fail to find out most suitable option for it. At last finally i check Htc Desire 310 Manual in which following method is given and luckily i fix my problem with these steps within few minutes and now my keyboard is working very smoothly without any problem.
Here are the steps:
Go to Settings.
Open Apps.
Tap All.
Find the Android keyboard.Clear data
Next you have to find Dictionary provider app.Again tap Clear data