No full screen when building App in Device (SOLVED)

Hi,

I wanted to test my Game in my iPhone 6.

My first question is: What are the best display width and height for a project to be multiplatform (especially mobile)?

Secondly, when I use Defold Development App, or even create an .ipa, the game is not full screen, no matter the display width and height I specify in the project:

How can I make the App to be Full screen on my device?

Thanks.

Define launch images / splash for the resolution of your device in your game.project then try again. I believe that is the issue here.

2 Likes

Hi Antonio!

I don’t think there is a “best” resolution or aspect ratio, since all devices/platforms have different sizes. Instead, what we use, are “Gui Layouts” (http://www.defold.com/manuals/layouts/) which lets you design gui’s for different scenarios: E.g. landscape/portrait, small screen/big screen etc.

And secondly, as @Pkeod correctly points out, you have to set the splash screen in your iOS settings, for the device to go to the full screen mode. You can read more on what sizes belong to which device here: Icon and Image sizes

2 Likes

Hi All.

That actually did the trick! Thanks so much!

Thanks also for the GUI Layouts advice, I’ll have a look at the documentation.

1 Like

iPhone 5s. I change launch image as suggest by Pkeod but when I rebuild it, … its the same. its look like defold try to maintain aspect ratio and let the black bar in top/bottom of the screen. Any other suggestion guys. I’m new to defold.

Did you define all of the ones listed with the proper size? Something like https://www.appicon.build/ might help make them fast.

There should be some premade ones somewhere too for testing…

I defined all images. this game is a “Magic Link” sample game (provided by Defold) with basicaly no changes. I only change the setting. I want to learn porting to iOS and android. For android the game stretch to full screen, but for iOS not

Could you zip the project as is and upload somewhere?

Hold on! You’re using the installed dmengine (from Project-Sign iOS App) and not a bundled version of your game? I’m fairly certain that the generic dmengine app that you can target and build to will not use your launch images. If you do Project->Bundle->iOS Application and install you’ll get a fullscreen app if all launch images are provided.

1 Like

this is zip project

https://v-hp.com/temp/link.zip

1. I do Project->Bundle->iOS Application. Put all my Sign. & Prov.
  2. from my iPhone login daskboard, I download dmengine app and run
  3. in editor, my phone appear, I set as target
  4. build

the app run but not stretch full screen

As part of this process you get a file browser and need to specify a destination folder on disk. In this folder you’ll get an .ipa file. This is the file that you put on the App Store or install directly on your phone. This app contains your launch images and will be full screen. You can install it using xcode, itunes or better yet using a command line tool such as ios-deploy.

If you do this process and do not check the Release checkbox and then install the app on your phone you’ll also be able to target it for local builds.

This is something completely different. This is a generic empty Defold app that will be uploaded to your dashboard. When you install it from the dashboard you can use it as a target and do incremental builds to. It does NOT include launch images and will NOT be fullscreen.

1 Like

Thanks britzl. Its in full screen only when I bundle/IOS app and copy *.ipa to my phone.

I suggest defold include a preset launch images in their dmengine app (just like what they do for icon). Then test build will be stretch fullscreen. This make it consistence output behavour between platform (All other platform run in stretch mode).

1 Like
1 Like

I agree. We really should be doing this. And as Pkeod points out there’s already a ticket for it.

I was pretty sure that the app produced by “Sign iOS App…” would set all the needed launch images, strange! I’ll take a look at this.