Nintendo Switch access is now free!

We’re pleased to announce that we have decided to no longer charge a monthly fee for access to the Nintendo Switch build tools and game engine plugin. Approved Nintendo Switch developers can now request access to Defold through the Nintendo Developer Portal and will upon verification receive access to the required tools and documentation.

Full source code access to the Nintendo Switch specific core of the Defold engine will still only be available as a separate paid membership tier. Note that full source code access is not necessary to release games made with Defold on the Nintendo eShop.

More information about Nintendo Switch development here:

(Full Press Release here)

35 Likes

Excellent news! That means I can stop my contribution.

…I won’t though. Join me here:

13 Likes

Oh my! This is huge! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

This is awesome! I’ve been wanting to develop something for switch and now I can finally do it!

4 Likes

Note that you still need to be approved by Nintendo first! And the previous cost of $25/month was hopefully not a blocker for most people anyway. But it’s great if you plan to release something on Nintendo Switch! It’s a great feeling to play something you’ve created yourself on actual Nintendo hardware!

9 Likes

This is great. It wasn’t a blocker for me, I’ll still keep supporting this great product and community anyway.

I’m still learning the engine, finding more and more awesome things. Even if my first project is a simple one anyway :wink:

5 Likes