New code editor in editor 2 launched!

Added https://github.com/defold/editor2-issues/issues/1512

Im not sure if it was as of this update but being finally able to see my available syntax options and created variables is one of the best updates to happen. It removes alot of headache from my bad rep with creating typos. lol

5 Likes

Oh this is looking good.

It’s a harder choice between Atom and Defold code editor now.

Is there variable fields autocomplete or there’s a bug?
In Atom I have the extension that shows variable fields like position.x or position.y and self. (only works after being declared before hand; I guess it determines context).

Looking forward to the built-in debugger also. When are planning to release it to alpha/beta?

Thank you for the hard work guys.

PS: I think that luacheck can also be integrated?

7 Likes

Hi @Fuscy!

There is no variable fields autocomplete, so no bug :slight_smile:
Great feature request though!

3 Likes

Hi @LosJustos!

Thanks for reporting the ALTGR issue. Unfortunately we won’t have time to fix this properly before christmas, but we posted two sad workarounds here: New text editor issue: ALT GR on Windows (SOLVED)

Merry Christmas

5 Likes

Hi. Happy holidays!

New editor much more usefull than previuos version. I found some inconvenience on win platfrom:

1. CTRL + INSERT and SHIFT + INSERT dont work relative to CTRL + C and CTRL + V functionality. Please make it same as CTRL + C and CTRL + V functionality.
  2. CTRL + LEFTCURSOR or CTRL + RIGHTCURSOR navigate to START and END current line, but more usefull navigate to start-end of each line word. Same when selected text with SHIFT + CTRL.
  3. SHIFT + DELETE dont delete selected text as simply DELETE. A trifle but comfortable delete also with SHIFT + DELETE.
  4. yes, need to setup replace TABS with spaces as mentioned other users above.

Thx for you work!

9 Likes

Hi @LosJustos

The AltGr issue should be fixed in the next update.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Yey, thats nice to hear.

It appears, that my strg + c doesn’t work every time. I dont know if its just my keyboard, but i didnt notice this bug in other applications. Maybe anyone else noticed this?
I can reproduce it, if i doubleclick a word and then try to copy paste it (it happens not every time).

Maybe this video can show my error

https://forum.defold.com/uploads/default/original/2X/9/9fe6dfdfdd4881ccefc63c683f522b2f3304f85b.mp4

How about alt+left arrow / alt + right arrow, I preferr to have Ctrl move to beginning of line and Alt word.

3 Likes

Are you used to Mac? Ctrl+Left/Right for skipping words is how everything on windows works. Even with Defold—all the other input fields in Editor 2 work that way, just not the text editor. For such an often-used thing, it’s really hard to switch your brain and remember to use Alt instead of Ctrl for one part of one program. Of course I hope it will be configurable at some point

2 Likes

That’s correct, even if the default for text editors on Mac is to use Cmd+Left/Right to resemble Home/End.

When I program on Windows I use Ctrl to provide the same functionality, since Home/End is further away.

1 Like

And here I am using Home/End all of the time…

Or worse yet, Shift + arrow arrow arrow arrow - until end of word >_<

I’ve learned something new from this discussion anyways. :star_struck:

Also, really enjoying the auto-complete, syntax highlighting, and the new mini-map. Thanks!

Weird, I just received the update and it’s been out for two weeks? Great update though! Love the mini-map especially!

I think the update may have been available and stated in the lower right corner, but I don’t believe I ever got an automatic prompt for a new update.

1 Like

Yeah, I have noted that it only prompts you at the “open a project” stage if you wait there for a few minutes, I have reported that issue 1449.

1 Like

One more magic proposition - mini map is awesome, but what if allow user navigate on it with mouse?

3 Likes
3 Likes

Text editor issues without “text-editor” label:

4 Likes

found this issue on github https://github.com/defold/editor2-issues/issues/971

2 Likes

Sorry for concern, but is it possible to expect these fixes in upcoming Defold2Editor version?

I think I’ve seen commits to handle tabs vs. spaces recently.

1 Like