My project crashes on the latest version of the engine

I tried launching my project on the latest version of Defold but it kept crashing. So, I reverted to an older version of the engine, version 1.2.178 to be precise, and my project worked just fine.

1 Like

Hi @tobiasogbon9!
What platform are you on?
What OpenGL version do you use?
Can you set the display.display_device_info setting in the game.project and give ur the output?

Sorry for the late reply, the OpenGL version is 4.3.

1 Like

Thanks!
What platform are you on?

Can you set the display.display_device_info setting in the game.project and give us the output? (The opengl version it starts up with)

I use Windows 10

The output:
INFO:GRAPHICS: Device: OpenGL
INFO:GRAPHICS: Renderer: Intel® HD Graphics 4400

INFO:GRAPHICS: Version: 3.3.0 - Build 10.18.15.4248

INFO:GRAPHICS: Vendor: Intel

2 Likes

Thanks for the info!

2 Likes

I downloaded the latest engine beta and the problem still exists. Is there any solution to the problem?

We released 1.2.181 to stable earlier today. This version (and the beta) has a minimum OpenGl requirement of 3.1 (down from 3.3). This should solve most problems but apparently not in your case.

• Can you please confirm that you are running the latest stable Defold version?
  • Does this happen for all projects or just one?
  • I noticed that the project you are building uses a few native extensions. Are you also using an app manifest file?
  • I’m still running the beta of 1.2.181. The download page still gives 1.2.180
  • All of them
  • Yes, I am

If http://d.defold.com/stable/ still lists 1.2.180 at the top for you, you most likely need to refresh that page in your browser. (CTRL+R usually does the trick)

Thanks a lot. I’ll try it

So, I downloaded the latest stable version of defold but the problem still persists.

1 Like

Also, I would like to add that when opening my projects on the newer version then returning to the older version, it messes up all of the sound files, leaving them with only the URL and the ID. Nothing else.

1 Like

This is to be expected. In 1.2.180 we added a loop count parameter to the sound component:

If you open your project in 1.2.180 or above and save your project the new loop count value will be written to your sound components (.sound and .collection files). Older versions of Defold does obviously not know what to do with the value and will refuse to load your sound components.

2 Likes

Is there something I could tweak to fix this issue. It’s quite frustrating to not be able to use newer versions of the engine and new features.

Its even occurs on completely new projects. Please anyone :sob::sob::sob:

1 Like

Please test one more time with a new empty project and share the crash dump file here.

Same issue reported by another user: https://github.com/defold/defold/issues/5688

Sorry for the late reply. Still the same outcome. Here’s the crash dump file:
_crash.txt (50.0 KB)

I’m still experiencing this issue on the latest release of the engine.

So, the OpenGl version in the graphics control panel is 4.3 whereas display.display_device_info gives:
INFO:GRAPHICS: Device: OpenGL
INFO:GRAPHICS: Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400
INFO:GRAPHICS: Version: 3.3.0 - Build 20.19.15.5171
INFO:GRAPHICS: Vendor: Intel

Why are the OpenGl versions different? Thanks in advance.