Mulu the little bear

Hello,

Finally it’s finished ! My first game with Defold.

Well, it’s not a big deal, but at least i’ve learned many aspects of Defold with it.

I’ve spent 3 months for doing it, essentially working a few hours a day after daily work.

The graphics and animations have been made especially for the game, by Marie.

The music comes courtesy of Dubmood. It was not made for the game (one day maybe :slight_smile: ), but Dubmood was kind enough to give me permission of using it.

I’m using the camera module from @britzl too ! Thank you britzl :slight_smile:

You can download the game from its mini website.

mulu_intro

mulu_game

Thank you for reading :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Getting a blank screen on Linux :frowning:

1 Like

Also same on Windows.:confused:

1 Like

Thank you for your reports.

I’m very sorry for this :frowning:

It seems ok with Arch Linux (my distribution). I have found a Debian user who has the black screen problem, and we’re trying to solve this.

For Windows, it will be harder to test :confused:
I’ve done a try with wine, and it’s ok on my computer.

I give more news as soon as possible.

2 Likes

I am on elementaryOS (Ubuntu derivative), although I am not sure as to what could cause the game not to run properly. Are you using native extensions by any chance?

I don’t use native extensions, but it reminds me that i forgot to thanks brizl for its camera… shame on me (edit edit!)

I’ve found what’s wrong with the beginning black screen.
It was a problem with the shader on the title screen.

I’m using a nvidia graphics card, and you are probaly using an integrated chipset which uses mesa. The mesa glsl compiler is not as laxist as the nvidia one. Or maybe it is a version of glsl used (i should force it in the beginning of the shader , with the least version available for avoiding this) because windows seems to suffered this too.

I’ve fixed that, and upload new versions.

Testing with integrated chipset, it’s ok now.

But the web version is still not working, that’s why it’s not present on the website.

Thank you for your support, and sorry for this issue :slight_smile:

Can confirm it works now :slight_smile:
Although I am getting single digit framerates in main menu. How many particles are you rendering at any one time? :smiley:

Great! Good job! What about an HTML5 version as well?

1 Like

Strange. On windows it’s pretty seamless for me. I didn’t notice any framerate drops.

@cubixpix Is this your first game all around, or your first game with Defold? I’m doing the same as you. Making a game and figuring out how to do it at the same time. More entertaining that way.

Great project. The main menu was pretty well done. I like the live background. I wonder what your next project will be?

2 Likes

Ok i’ve add some returns about Mulu, here are they:

• clipping problem with clouds when resizing the window.
  • should add some sounds (jump, victory, sad bear…).
  • changing direction of player with an animation was not a good idea (yes, i know this now).
  • balloon should go to the ‘?’ character in the sky.
  • player is too slow (only parents told me this :slight_smile: )
  • balloons should move a little with the wind, when they are tied.
  • joystick support (ok, i will buy a joystick… if you know a good one working with Linux i’m interested).
  • the shader on the start screen has nothing to do with the game (i do agree, but it was the best i could do hehe. May be just some layers with stylized clouds would have been enough ?).

And now for your remarks :slight_smile:

@Tomires : i’m not using particles, it’s a shader.

@britzl : i tried to generate HTML5 version, but i got… yes, a black screen at start (may be shader again ? I should give a try without any shader…)

@Gmanicus : it was my first game with Defold. I have done some very little games before with C, SDL, and even before with x86 assembly, but nothing very fancy. Mulu with Defold is the first one i dare to show to others :slight_smile: And for my next project, i’m not sure for now, we are still discussing it with Marie.

Thank you to all for your returns :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, that’s likely a shader problem. Check the dev console of your browser for errors.

I have corrected some bugs, and added some thing for a v1.1 :slight_smile:

• There were a problem of stretching with the background , when the window was resized.

• The intro shader is now nicer (well, i think) and most importantly, doesn’t run sluggish anymore on intel dedicated GPU (tested on a core i5-6500, but cannot promise for older gens).

• The collision detection on the edge of platforms was a bit indulgent (ahem).

• And … and… added some homemade sounds ! Hoho!

The links on the Mulu website have been updated.

Thank you for reading, and for trying Mulu :slight_smile:

[EDIT]: the linux and windows packages were corrupted, and i’ve reuploaded the two files. It’s ok now.

2 Likes