Mena: Cloud Rider

One way: use a collection proxy to load, init and enable the level collection. When you die and want to replay, unload the collection, then load it again.

3 Likes

Very interesting! I’ll give it a shot in a couple hours. If it works I can just create each level in it’s own collection with it’s assets and build the whole game that way ^^

2 Likes

Yes, this is a very good approach when dealing with multiple levels.

2 Likes

A little help on using proxies:
I have all the level 1 content in a collection called main.collection
that collection contains a main.go which contains the GUI and a main script.

Where do I create the proxy collection?
Also, what is it that’s actually running the whole game? Is it the main.script that runs the game or another thing?

As soon as I figure out how to do this without breaking the game I think I’ll want to start on the artwork for level 2. Want to keep moving.

Thanks!

You may also try this extension. I have not tried it yet, but I hope to add it to my game in next few days.

1 Like

The bootstrap collection specified in game.project points to the initial collection to load. Any scripts attached to game objects in that collection will be active and run your game. In your case it might be the main.script but it could just as well be other scripts.

I have an example of proxy collections here: https://github.com/britzl/publicexamples/tree/master/examples/menu_and_game

1 Like

Oooops! Sorry! I’ve insert wrong link! Here’s the right one - https://github.com/Megus/defold-router

2 Likes

Thanks for all the replies everyone!!!

Alien Language ^^
I had to prioritize other things the last few days.
BUT I was able to read the links and try solutions a number of times.
I think it’s just a little beyond my level right now, same with Shaders ^^ It’s like alien language to me now lol

Building Levels
No reason to slow down though. I’m going to read a little each day and only commit about 20% to learning and the other 80% to building assets for the different levels.

Live Screen Chat Anyone
If anyone is willing to do a live chat and walk me through building the “Replay” feature I would be up for it. It would be nice to have that for the Jam ^^. I’ll be on for another 2 hours from the time of this post.

Cheers friends ^^

Progress for today ^^ I think I’m happy for now with this level as well.

Next Steps:

• Create Next Artwork (maybe water theme ^^)

7 Likes

The Terrible Orange. Power Towers and simple environment still to go for this level.

4 Likes

Captain’s log:

I’ve been contemplating on game most recently. The last addition to the balance of the game was towers and it added a layer of interest…but it’s not enough. It doesn’t seem full yet…

1st Necessary Element:
Pace. Enemies should be revealed one at a time. So, first orange 1, then orange 1&2 until the end of the level where they all come at you. I’ll also greatly limit the lighting. I’ll make it so that you have to collect a Cross point to use lightning. The more you collect the more you can use it. That way there’s an additional goal and the user has to be frugal. No one likes unlimited ammo and lives.

2nd Necessary Element
Complexity. I had concept art of the elements already so there’s no reason why the character couldn’t choose 1 element to start with and grow the class of that element. I would want to play that kind of a game multiple times to unlock all the features.

3rd Big Decision
3 hearts, 1 life, no save, straight play. Save 7 worlds in one sitting.
I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or bad but I like that it has to be a straight play. It’s like an adventure each time. But I would want the whole game to be 40mins. Anything more than that will be annoying.

Is this within my limits? No.
Is it within the limits of the people here? I believe it is.
When I need it I’ll ask for help ^^

Captain out…I’ve been watching 1987 Star Trek next generation…it is amazing.

4 Likes

Something like that for when you first start the game.
You can never change your element once you start your journey and no option is better or worse; at least that’s how I’m imagining it. We’ll see about the reality of things lol

Cheers friends

4 Likes

There’s so many posts on this thread that I haven’t been able to find a link to a playable version of this yet. Have you got one up? Cheers

Thanks Loren ^^ I’m in the gamejam I have a version up there and on sticky iron as well ^^

Fair warning though the game is terrible right now. I’m starting to think it might be more effective to partner with someone who like building and coding. Don’t get me wrong I do like coding and I like designing and also like animating but I care more about publishing and momentum. For that I’m willing to share the glory and profit ^^

We have one life to live, can’t waist it hoarding stuff ^^

1 Like

@britzl @Mathias_Westerdahl @ryanscottlandry @Oleg_The_Evangelist
@sicher @sven

Hey friends Loren sparked an idea for me…well maybe two:

1. Partner with someone
  2. Pay someone for weekly tutoring

Any ideas where I can post and find someone. Also wasn’t sure what level of a developer I should be looking for.

I like momentum so maybe some games I can focus on the dev and others the concept so I at least know what’s going on in the engine. Gotta know the engine in order to suggest reasonable concepts ^^

Also any feedback on the topic in general is much appreciated friends.

PS
I just woke up from a dream about meeting the Defold team. Britzl you were the guy who greeted me at the door. You were running a youth gaming class ^^

2 Likes

I know what you mean. Game design is about 10 different disciplines rolled into one. It’s tough melding all those different skills into a passable game as a first timer. I’m having a go at that jam too. I also feel my game is terrible, but you live and learn. I’ll check yours out anyways.

3 Likes

2 fire spells Fire down. I think I like the direction.

I’ll probably separate each element into:

• spread / single damage
  • passive / active

That might be an easy frame work to pump the spells out and make them functional. We’ll see ^^

2 Likes

get it in while you’re hot ^^

I think I actually like 4 moves per element and each move can have 3 levels of extremity: level 3 Meteor ^^

2 Likes

I’m going to shift gear and work on this simpler Learning Game ^^ I want to use the project to really get the fundamentals down; that’s the plan anyways lol

I’ve included the link to the Forum Post for anyone who wants to follow. Cheers friends ^^

Link to Forum Post:

3 Likes

Cool. Yeah. that could totally be me. We’re actually involved in a programming and maker summer camp for kids here in Sweden, and last weekend we had a training for 20 IT teachers working with kids in the age 13-15.

If anyone happens to be in Stockholm then please let us know and we’ll happily invite you to our office to hang out and meet the rest of the team!

7 Likes