macOS: Defold 2 (beta) is running, but the editor window is not visible

Hi, Defold community! I’m a brand new user to Defold, and I’m really excited to get to work!

I’m so new, however, that I haven’t even been able to use the editor yet. I figured I’d start with Defold 2, even though it’s in beta. I installed the app like normal on macOS Sierra, and I was able to open it the first time. Every time since then, the app will launch but the editor window is nowhere to be seen. I can open other windows like the Preferences window, the New window, etc, but the main editor is gone. I’ve tried showing all windows from the main Defold menu in the menu bar as well. No luck there either.

I tried deleting the app from the Applications section of my Finder, as well as the Application Support folder for Defold in the Library folder of the Finder. I then tried reinstalling the newest version, and the same thing happens.

Is there some simple way for me to either get the window to reappear or just completely purge Defold from my computer and try installing again?

Thanks so much! I can’t wait to dig in, once I get this figured out.

2 Likes

Sorry you ran into this issue. We had it reported here a day ago: https://github.com/defold/editor2-issues/issues/729 And we also had a colleague run into it as well. Because of the severity we will fix this tomorrow. If the root cause for you is what the other person had (which is that the window is restored into an off-screen position, likely because it was running on a dual screen setup previously), you could potentially get the window back through a separate software, see the issue linked above. It’s really annoying and because how java preferences work (which we regrettably use, but will stop using), there seems to be no easy way to purge the Defold-specific preferences without wiping all java preferences. We will of course also implement a reset of the preferences for whenever that is necessary.

6 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply! You guys are awesome.

It looks like a third party software can indeed resize it back into place, but I’m okay with waiting for an official bug fix from the team. I’m in no hurry by any means; just in the learning stages in my free time, so I can hang tight for an update.

Thanks so much!

5 Likes

Welcome to Defold and the forums, @supersinex – hope you get up and running soon! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The issue has been fixed now, it will ask you to update some time after you have started the editor.

Edit: It turned out to not be related to dual screens, but to if you had maximized the app window before quitting the app. The window would then “disappear” at the next launch of the app.

6 Likes

You guys are all amazing! I haven’t even used it yet, but I can already tell I’m going to love it. I’m just some random guy, but you guys jumped right on that and fixed it really fast! I am currently up and running with the editor thanks to that update!

Your dedication to the software definitely makes this an attractive option for game development. Passion is contagious, and I hope more people join the community. Thank you so much!

9 Likes