Ludum Dare #38 this weekend

This weekend is the 38th Ludum Dare. The final round of voting has ended and it’s less than 6 hours until the theme is revealed and the jam starts! :tada:

Ludum Dare is an excellent opportunity to have some fun, learn new stuff and hopefully finish a small game. Defold, with it’s rapid workflow and hot reload feature, is the perfect engine for a game jam.

A while back @Oleg_The_Evangelist did put together a kick start guide for using Defold at game jams. Check it out:

5 Likes

I’ll be participating!

3 Likes

I’ll participate as well!

2 Likes

Yep, I’m in too :grin::sleeping:

2 Likes

The Theme for Ludum Dare 38 is: A Small World

1 Like

Voting results of themes. Keep it Alive / Start with Nothing were the ones I wanted, but I still have an idea for current theme.

1 Like

I’m in! And streaming https://www.twitch.tv/xmrphil

5 Likes

Awesome! I just got an idea after some vidya brain storming and am going for it now. :grinning:

3 Likes

Origin story / intro for what I’m calling Pixcade Cosmos (Pixcade is a new publishing label I’m going to be using in the future). Working on the gameplay right now. World starts 1px in size and grows as you play - expanding outward into the fog. Design for gameplay is an idle type game with some pattern making to make new discoveries. Being designed with a portrait phone layout in mind, but going to publish a web build too, and make the entire visible area able to be interacted with.

4 Likes

Current state of world. Using tilemaps and fixed sized 2d arrays right now, but probably going to switch to using GOs for the blocks (I’d use tilemaps if it were possible to dynamically grow them in any direction just by setting tiles as positions, thought about using tilemap chunks but going to test GOs instead since I can also do some other nice things with them) and dynamically sized 2d arrays soon.

Below is ref mockup from last night. G stands for Gravity and you earn Gravity passively over time from your placed blocks, new blocks cost G to place, can only place blocks next to already existing block sides. You discover new blocks by combining different blocks on top of each other or by arranging blocks in certain patterns next to each other. Once you discover a block, you can then spend G to place it.

5 Likes

I like the idea! Looking forward to trying it!

1 Like

Working on pattern matching meanwhile more block types. (And posted on wrong thread d’oh.)

1 Like

@sergey.lerg @benjames171 @mrphil How are your games going?

Mine is terrible, because yesterday my friend had an emergency and I had to help. Only now I can finally start making something. I had to discard the original idea as well. However, I’ll make something even if I miss both deadlines.

2 Likes

I’m trying to finish before the comp ends in the next three hours but if I don’t make it I’ll spend tomorrow polishing more and submit for the jam instead.

Been using editor 2 fully with no show stoppers!

3 Likes

I won’t make it for the compo, but I’ve got a nice doable idea for a world destruction puzzle game.

1 Like

I wont make the deadline this time. My “surviving on a desert island” idea is just too complex for 2-3 days of work!

I hope you keep working on it anyway!

1 Like

Need to polish a ton. Adding day night cycle via transitioning the clear color over time. I want to add a bunch of more block types leading up to building logic gates. Scrolling around works good but have not added inertia yet. Still improving the pattern matching for spawning complex structures.That red thing is a compass pointing to the origin which will soon be toggleable. Going to add in buildable waypoints too so you can jump around quickly once the world gets big. I want to have mobs able to spawn and walk around on the blocks. Lots to do still…

4 Likes

My compo entry using defold -

Enjoy a pleasing evening tea:
https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/38/just-you-and-your-porch

I actually used the new editor for this - it worked really well! Other than a few recurring popup errors, but nothing that couldn’t be fixed by restarting the editor.

Overall a good experience

(re-edit) - Link fixed

6 Likes