I had an ambitious plan to actually make something for the Lowrezjam but as always time was not on my side…
I did however create a small Space Invaders game within the 64x64 pixel restrictions of the Lowrezjam. I published the code on GitHub if anyone wants to take a look and perhaps find some inspiration. Some noteworthy things:
- GitHub pages works really well for publishing HTML builds
- Lua coroutines are really useful.
- I run the game loop in a coroutine and with a helper module it becomes super easy to set up the game loop (show message, wait two seconds, load level, wait for game over, show message, repeat!)
- The aliens movement code is run in a coroutine
- The render script keeps the aspect ratio and centers the content no matter how you resize the window