It began a couple of weeks ago. I currently work in a library and things have been quite slow lately, with the pandemic going on and everything. I came across some behind-the-scenes footage from the making of Mortal Kombat. And as I was talking with my colleagues there about the way the game works, I said I could probably make a simple version of the game in a week or so. As it turns out I could. And I did. So let me introduce…
- One fighter to choose from! Half man, half coffee - yours truly! I boast three exciting moves:
- a quick jab (simply mash that attack button) that does very little damage!
- A slow uppercut (hold down and press attack) with short range, which will send your enemy flying through the air dealing heavy damage!
- A special move (press back, forward, then attack): taking a sip from a cup of very strong coffee, I will spit this vile dark substance to not only damage but also humiliate your opponent!
- Three detailed arenas including “corridor just outside our office” and “two different shots of our courtyard I took on one of my smoke breaks today”.
- Amazing royalty-free music by the very talented Kevin MacLeod.
- A “settings” button which does nothing! Or does it? No.
The game should be played by two different players at the same time (it gets a little awkward when I control two figures that look like me). Use arrow keys / WSAD to move around and duck (jumping is halfway done, but commented out for now). The left player can attack using the left shift key or E, the right player can do so with either enter or spacebar. And even though it may seem unfair that one player gets to use not one but two of the largest keys on the keyboard, I’m sure you’ll find the game remarkably well balanced.
Oh, and please note that while the main menu is controlled by mouse, the character selection screen (and indeed the rest of the game) can only be mastered through the use of your keyboard. This game just loves to keep you on your toes!
I’m, of course, not done with this by a long shot. I still need to iron out some gameplay concepts (jumping, perhaps blocking, definitely fatalities) and then (hopefully later this week) I’ll start recording my colleagues and adding them into the game one by one. A few of them have their crisp 32x32 portraits in the game already, but cannot be selected. Pick me instead! Stay tuned for a weaponized bike, Jung’s The Red Book Smash, boss intervention and more, as well as a complete overhaul of my own sprites (I forgot to wear my Defold shirt when I took the footage!)
Oh, and here’s the source, because why not. Happy fighting, but be quiet! You’re in a library, after all…