Learning Defold while creating and ARPG

Decided to create an action rpg in the style of games like The Binding of Isaac or Hero Siege. I wanted to go ahead and use this as a project to create while learning Defold. I got some temp player art for a wizard in today as well as movement controls scripted at this point. The game will use WASD for movement and will attack towards the mouse cursor on left mouse button click. The maps will at some point be randomly generated and the goal is to allow for tons of replayability. Quick screenshot of what I got today which is not really impressive at this point but its what I was able to get done in the time I had today. Hope to have more impressive stuff soon.

This is the Player Facing Down

Player Facing Left

Player Facing Right

Player Facing Up

5 Likes

Great! Good luck with your project and please keep us updated of your progress here in this thread!

1 Like

I am trying to keep short easy goals for each day like today my goal is to get fireballs in and shooting properly. Also I do plan on replacing all of the art assets but I am a programmer not an artist but for now stuff works as I know what it is. Also today I want to get 8 way facing for my player.

Have a look at this list of free assets if you need some prototyping graphics:

1 Like

the reason for using my own created stuff is it may be ugly but at this point I don’t care I have a artist friend that will make me good art when I am ready, however right now I am trying to work on sizes and all of that.

Had some success today as I was able to get the player sprite to change images so it was using a different image for each direction of an 8 way movement system. Also have 4 way shooting in using the arrow keys to pick what direction to shoot in. Not sure if I want to go with 8 way shooting or shooting at the mouse position but having issues with properties and sending them to the instanced fireball created from a factory. Did get it working mostly just need to make it so we can only shoot in one direction at a time instead of all four directions at the same time. Oh well here is a screen shot of fireballs going everywhere.

goals for the next day may not be tomorrow are to get one fireball fired at a time as well as put shooting on a timer so that you don’t have to press the button for each fireball shot and 8 direction firing instead of 4.

3 Likes

Well I got 8 way shooting done today didnt have a lot of time to work on things today but at least its something. Still having the problem of being able to shoot in multiple directions at the same time for some reason and unable to figure out how to stop that. Only want to be able to shoot in one direction at a time. Also wasn’t able to get a timer figured out yet either. Help with both timers as well as only being able to shoot in one direction at a time would be great.

Anyway another screenshot just for fun

next goals are to get timers working for one firing sequence at a time and making it so you can only shoot in one direction at a time which I think the timer should fix

2 Likes