Is latest dmengine.apk from d.defold.com compatible with latest Editor2 builds?

Hi there,

Just wondering -

If I grab the latest build of dmengine.apk from d.defold.com (currently version 1.2.99), should I expect it to be compatible with builds of my game produced by the latest Editor2 build? (also version 1.2.99, but a different git hash)

If they are expected be compatible, then I’m having an issue… dmengine.apk crashes when it tries to launch the game, and I can provide more details and adb logs if necessary.

If they’re not expected to be compatible, then shouldn’t there be a version of dmengine.apk that gets distributed along with Editor2 builds?

Thanks!

Editor 1 and Editor 2 should use the exact same build pipeline (the stuff you find in bob.jar). I’m a bit confused though. You cannot bundle from Editor 2 yet, but if you open your project in Editor 1 and build and run on your machine then the same project should build and run from Editor 2. Are you saying that when you bundle the game for Android from Editor 1 that the game doesn’t run on your phone?

I’m not using Editor1 at all in this case. In Editor 2, I’m just choosing my android device from the Project > Target menu. Then, when I do Project > Build (or ctrl+b), it attempts to launch on my phone. But maybe this isn’t what i’m supposed to do? I’ve never run my game on anything other than desktop before…

(Note that I installed dmengine.apk manually using adb)

Ah, I see. Well, that should work. Could you try the same thing in Editor 1 just to rule out any problems with your project? And what if you bundle an APK from Editor 1? Does the app run as expected then?

1 Like

Yes, it is quite confusing, sorry. This is the current situation:

• Before we release Defold, we bump the version (e.g. 1.2.99) which is stored in a file. The specific git sha1 of that release is what people are able to download.
  • Editor2 reads the version from the same file, which is unchanged for the coming two weeks. However, Editor2 is released for every commit made on the dev-branch, both editor and engine.
  • This means that Editor2 will ship every new engine feature as well being developed during the two weeks. It is bleeding-edge so to speak, but fooling you that it’s the same version (e.g. 1.2.99). But as you noted, it’s the git sha1 that really matters.

It is a temporary thing to release editor2 like that, and the purpose is to ship bug-fixes at top speed. In a few weeks, the bug count should be down and we will let it follow the regular two-week cycle.

3 Likes

@Ragnar_Svensson: Understood, I had a feeling I was trying to do something dirty by using a stable dmengine.apk with a bleeding edge Editor2 build.

Just for completeness, @britzl, I tried bundling and launching my project from Editor1, and it worked as expected.

Thanks for the help guys

1 Like