Is it possible to sell a game independently using Defold?

Hello,

I’m a programming enthusiast and hopefully future title developer. I have a good amount of know how with Lua programming and have gotten started on a new simple project using Defold. In the end I want to publish it as a cheap buyable item on Steam, but I am worried since my project is being stored on King servers that there will be legal ties and King would be able to take the rights of the game. Am I perfectly safe, free to use King’s services without penalty, and is everything I create legally my own?

2 Likes

You own your project 100% and can sell it however you want while keeping 100% of the money your project makes (after whatever fees the places you sell on take). Defold provides free git hosting for version control and some optional services, they do not own your project in any way. You can also self host your git project on other git hosts such as bitbucket or your own git server.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

If you want all the details you can read the legal terms of service stuff here: [link]

Moving your project to a different server is pretty easy, there are instructions here: [link]

2 Likes

And with Editor 2 you can create a project from scratch without even having to start from the Defold dashboard. Create a folder with a game.project file and off you go!

6 Likes