iOS dev app has low resolution on iPhone 6+ (DEF-1721) (SOLVED)

When I call render.get_window_width() and render.get_window_height() when running on an iPhone 6+ it reports that the window size is 960 by 640 in landscape mode. From what I’ve read shouldn’t the window be reporting either 1242 x 2208, 414 x 736, or 1920 x 1080? 960 x 640 isn’t even the proper aspect ratio!

I think this might have to do with iPhone 6 will automatically fallback to some compatibility mode if the app does not contain the “correct” launcher images… Try setting them in your game.project file, look for launch_image_WxH under ios. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried three different scenarios and this is what I found.

1. Add all images. I added an image of the proper size for all of the launch_image_* options provided in the .project file. The reported window size is still 960x640.

2. I deleted all of the launch_image_* images for all sizes except the native iPhone 6+ size of 1242x2208 and 2208x1242. The reported window size is still 960x640.

3. I created a stand-alone app using Project -> Bundle -> iOS Application… This ran at the proper resolution.

Note that when I run it on my iMac it runs at the .project file specified resolution (2208x1242). Also note that when I change the startup images I create a new version of the wireless connection app ( Project -> Sign iOS App… ) and upload that to my iPhone 6+.

Any ideas? I can run on the hardware by creating a stand-alone app but that isn’t really a very good solution. One last note. I’m using file names like launch_image_768x1024.png for the file names. I’m not using the @2X or @3X notation.

1 Like

Hold on, are you testing this on a bundled and installed iOS app or on the “wireless connection app”? If you are testing it on the latter then I’m fairly certain that it will not work since that app won’t use the launch images IIRC.

1 Like

Ahhh, I see! Ok, so the “dev app” does not include the needed launcher images, and in turn will fall back to the compatibility mode… This needs to be fixed on our end, I’ll add an issue for it, thanks for reporting.

However, the good thing is that you can still use your own bundled app (that has the launcher images set) and use exactly as the dev-app, as long as you don’t check the “release” checkbox when bundling. :thumbsup:

Issue added; DEF-1721

2 Likes

Solved in Defold 1.2.99

1 Like