iOS build broken (SOLVED)


#1

Hi,

we tried to update our game already published on Itunes Connect but when we use the editor Bundle feature the .ipa it creates is not valid:
When trying to deploy it on a provisioned device it throws an API error.
We then tried to build it using bob - latest version - and it still fails. This time we are able to deploy it on the provisioned device but the app crashes after the launch image is displayed.
I can send you the device logs should you need them.

In the end we managed to create a working build by using an older version of bob (1.2.137). We tried that one because we were sure the build would work in that date - we didn’t try later versions so perhaps the toolchain broke later on.

Just let me know if you need further information!


#2

Please include as much information as possible (development platform, defold/bob versions, error logs, API error logs etc.). It’s hard to provide support with so little to go.


#3

What is the latest bob.jar you can use to get a valid result? You mention 1.2.137, but it would really help to find at what version it fails.


#4

Hi and sorry for the late reply.
Here’s the information:

Error logs: No error logs when building and no error logs when trying to install the app from the “Bundle” -> “iOS” menu of the editor.
I am just receiving “Operation Failed - There was an internal API Error” from XCode when attempting to install the app from the Device window.

If I build it with bob version 1.2.145 i can install the app but then it crashes on launch. I can’t post crash logs since the website does not accept uploads in txt format and logs exceed the allowed maximum post characters. If you provide me with an email address I can send them there.

@Mathias_Westerdahl The last bob build I have been able to make a working ipa is the 1.2.139. From 1.2.140 onwards the app crashes at launch.

Development environment information follows.

Development platform:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro6,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
Processor Speed: 3,7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 10 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: 127.0.0.0.0
SMC Version (system): 2.20f18
Illumination Version: 1.4a6
Hardware UUID: 7670C825-8B19-58FE-AF59-AFC004F6E4BB

XCode version:
Version 10.1 (10B61)


#5

Are you using any native extensions or app manifest? Do you use a custom Info.plist file?

Could you send the log to both sven.andersson@king.com and mathias.westerdahl@king.com ? :slight_smile:


#6

Log sent :slight_smile:

No, we are not using native extensions. We do write a persistent file using Defold API though.
The Info.plist is slightly customized but honestly I do not remember why or what we changed.
The diff from the built in is the following:

12c12
<         <string>{{project.title}}</string>
---
>         <string>{{exe-name}}</string>
256a257,276
>                     <string>Default-Portrait-1112h</string>
>                     <key>UILaunchImageOrientation</key>
>                     <string>Portrait</string>
>                     <key>UILaunchImageSize</key>
>                     <string>{834,1112}</string>
>                 </dict>
>                 <dict>
>                     <key>UILaunchImageMinimumOSVersion</key>
>                     <string>8.0</string>
>                     <key>UILaunchImageName</key>
>                     <string>Default-Landscape-1112h</string>
>                     <key>UILaunchImageOrientation</key>
>                     <string>Landscape</string>
>                     <key>UILaunchImageSize</key>
>                     <string>{834,1112}</string>
>                 </dict>
>                 <dict>
>                     <key>UILaunchImageMinimumOSVersion</key>
>                     <string>8.0</string>
>                     <key>UILaunchImageName</key>

Other than that, we used the editor bundle feature to distribute back in september without any relevant issue.

Let me know if you need something else :slight_smile:


#7

This is your error, the actual binary name and project name are not the same. Defold will sanitise the binary name inside the bundle to avoid issues with spaces etc, it’s important that the CFBundleExecutable tag in Info.plist points to the correct sanitised name… :slight_smile:

If you just change {{project.title}} to {{exe-name}}under the CFBundleExecutable tag in your Info.plist it will work with the latest Defold version.