Instruction. How to get "ERROR:GUI: Could not create the node since the buffer is full (512)."

I found conditions when you may easy getting issue of full buffer.

1. having GUI with template node.
  2. clone this node in on_message() by sending message “PleaseClone” to this GUI script.
  3. delete cloned nodes in the same on_message() function.
  4. send message “PleaseClone” many times to this GUI. For example into update of other script for quick result.
  5. all work correct. You clone/delete nodes.

1. disable this GUI component.
  2. Congratulation. “ERROR:GUI: Could not create the node since the buffer is full (512).” in console.

So, I’ve made small demo project, here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/emkbfomlsm0vaht/guinodetest.zip?dl=0

to reproduce the error please uncomment line
msg.post("/inv#inventory", "disable")
in init() of main.script.

Probably expected behavior. Nodes gets not deleted, but somehow “marked for deletion” and deleted in “post-update” phase.

function init(self)
	for i = 1, 513  do
		local node = gui.new_box_node(vmath.vector3(), vmath.vector3())
		gui.delete_node(node)
	end
end

This code in empty gui component is enough to get the same message.

Yes, that is the expected behavior. Nodes and game objects for that matter exist the entirety of a frame and count towards the node/instance cap.

But your example is absolutely different.
Yes, you have the same message but using expected behavior.
In the example by @Dragosha you can create and remove one node per frame, and still receive an error after 512 frames. Looks like nodes haven’t deleted after disabling of gui component ( “post-update” doesn’t called on the disabled component)

It is just simulation of what happened in @Dragosha code. Disabled gui don’t receive update callback, so no post-update for them either.

Ok, now I understand what do you mean.
More information about loop (including post_update) here

Oh, yes, that would be totally different and definitely a bug.