ImageBatch - Reduce drawcalls for social media avatars

ImageBatch will help you to download and use images such as social media avatars without increasing the number of drawcalls with each new image as each image is added to a single shared texture instead.

It’s still not super ready to go, but if anyone needs this kind of feature this can be used as is right now. I have a list of features I’ll be adding over time as I have time and interest. If anyone has interest in helping to improve it go for it.

11 Likes

This is great, for a number of reasons…

The first is that the Defold community has people like yourself that actually goes out of there way to help others. I’m using your defos and resizer code in my current project as well as half a dozen other peoples modules like def-mnu, rendercam, monarch etc (probably end up paying Britzl royalties for all his code and examples I’ve used).

The second is the fact that with native extensions and people like yourself we’re seeing actual top notch functionality being created and integrated into Defold without waiting for the Defold team to do the leg work.

This and defos / def-mnu being prime examples.

I love it. So many other engines are so relient on the devs for new functionality yet Defold is getting community contributed functionality all the time.

Fantastic, and thank you all!! Please keep contributing because you give/teach us all more than you know.

10 Likes

Joining in here with a hurray to @Pkeod and each and everybody else who share their code with the community. We at Defold do out best so the engine is as open as possible for community add-ons and improvements, while we’re focusing on the stable foundation.

I also remember I mentioned multiple times a kind of reward system to the community. It is happened harder/slower to roll-out because of King internal matters. And now it is summer… But I am still pushing for it.

4 Likes

I will accept reward in the form of Swedish candy. :sunglasses:

5 Likes