Given the recent updates I thought I would rebuild my HTML5 asteroids game to see if I could cut down the build size, load times, etc.
It’s been a year, and I may have messed with the project since then, but…
- The last HTML5 build I have is 8.05 MB.
- I rebuilt it as-is, and the build is now 7.63 MB.
- I switched to a lossless Webp texture profile, the build is now 7.00 MB. (This basically halved the size of my game content!)
- I used an .appmanifest (from Manifestation) with the settings below, build now 7.10 MB . . .
- Settings: Record,Profiler,Facebook,Sound,Release,Clang
I thought at least that removing the Facebook module and Sound (I am using howler.js for sound) would reduce the engine size a bit. Am I doing something wrong? Why would it get a tiny bit bigger?
Obviously these sizes are the full game, engine and content. Uncompressed. Here are what the actual files are. I have the audio files bundled as plain resources (.wav) so howler.js can use them. In the version without the appmanifest, ‘Asteroid Blaster.js’ is 5,010 KB.