How to stick a GUI element top left

Would you mind explaining just a bit more what would this achieve for the rendering of the game ?
Right now I’m using rendercam but I don’t mind returning to a custom render script as long as it achieves a nice solution.

It would mean that as you increase the size of the screen it would start showing more of the game world, but if you start increasing even more in both directions, at a certain point the pixel size suddenly jumps from 1x1 to 2x2, then from 2x2 to 3x3, etc.

2 Likes

Exactly what I’m looking for !
I will try that as soon as possible !

1 Like

I like this example doing it all in the gui_script without needing to edit the render, here is it simplified and improve to work with all scales assuming the root scaler node starts a 1 (then can child anything else at different scales below it)

local function update_node(self)
	gui.set_scale(self.scaled_node, vmath.vector3(1 / math.min(self.screen_width / self.width, self.screen_height / self.height), 1 / math.min(self.screen_width / self.width, self.screen_height / self.height), 1 / math.min(self.screen_width / self.width, self.screen_height / self.height)))
end

local function window_callback(self, event, data)
	if event == window.WINDOW_EVENT_RESIZED then
		self.screen_width = data.width
		self.screen_height = data.height

update_node(self)
	end
end

function init(self)
	self.scaled_node = gui.get_node("scaled_node")
	self.node_scale = gui.get_scale(self.scaled_node)
	self.screen_width = gui.get_width()
	self.screen_height = gui.get_height()
	self.width = self.screen_width
	self.height = self.screen_height

update_node(self)

window.set_listener(window_callback)
end

For anyone searching, this is useful to make things scale 1:1 no matter how you scale the window. So if you want an FPS counter at the corner of your screen or something you can use a tiny pixel font and it will look good no matter the windo scale.

2 Likes