How to explore Defold examples - for the beginner

I found it very useful to explore Defold Engine examples, as a way to prove and expand my knowledge of it.
The process of installing example files takes quite a few steps, so I decided to create a 5min video especially for beginners:

In the video I’ve used the example files provided by @britzl, however the same process can be followed for those provided in the official documentation.

Addendum [23 September 2016] : Some of the examples have custom render scripts. This means exchanging the value of the"render" input( *.render files). To this end, the same instructions for modifying the “main_collection” input can be followed.

11 Likes

Nice! Added a link to the video on the GitHub page. Thanks.

3 Likes

I can’t syncronize, try to skip it and run, defold exit (defold terminated) automatically.

What do you mean? Could you please explain the steps you’ve taken?

I try to download this example. Follow tutorial above until I copied file to branch that already created, when try to synchronize, but it get failed i cant connect to server, try to skip it and running the example. But suddenly the applicaton defold close. Not the game but application defold itself.

Ok, so my recommendation is that you do the following:

1. Go to the Dashboard and create a new projects
  2. Open the project in Defold
  3. Right click on game.project and chose Show in Finder/Explorer
  4. Remove everything except .git and .gitignore
  5. Unzip example.zip in this location

Please follow these steps and let me know if it works or not. Please attach a screenshot and any additional information if things doesn’t work.

1 Like

Yeah, got it, now it’s work thanks.

1 Like