How can i create a textbox and a phone keyboard to use in my quiz game using lua?

Hi,…another question…can anyone guide me on how to add a textbox on my quiz game?..and when the user tap the textbox,…a mobile keayboard will apeear to input the correct answer…thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hi!

There are no builtin GUI text input elements, but you could take a look at my mini-library: DirtyLarry - A quick and dirty GUI library

In summary:
The input “element” is just a text GUI node. I check for mouse clicks/touches on this node and show the system keyboard if this happen (gui.show_keyboard()). When any “text input” is received, I update the content of the text node (gui.set_text()).

3 Likes

@sven Thanks for the link of dirty larry…i actually used it on my game and it looks awesome(really!)…but one more thing: i dont know why i cant get any user inputs from the buttons and text input…

– i actually set “acquire_input_focus” on the “function_init()”,…
– added the gui_script to the gui_scene,…
– i tried also to add touch events in the input binding…
– set the whole line of codes to the “function on_input()”
– tried to run the bundled app to my smartphone and even in my desktop pc(windows 7) … but no luck…

is there something that i had missed?..any help from you is very appreciated…thanks!

0 Likes

Do you have the correct input bindings? Are you using any proxy collections and if so, are all parts of the input stack acquiring input focus?

1 Like

@britzl This is the whole code that i had used on my gui script that was attached to my gui scnene…i only tried follow what sven actually said…but maybe,…i missed something important on it…

gui_script code:

local dirtylarry = require "dirtylarry/dirtylarry"

function init(self)

msg.post(".", "acquire_input_focus")

end

function on_input(self, action_id, action)

self.input_default = dirtylarry:input("txtgLvl1", action_id, action, gui.KEYBOARD_TYPE_DEFAULT, "Type your answer here...")

dirtylarry:button("btnSubmitLvl1", action_id, action, function ()
print("Input: " .. tostring(self.input_default))
end)

end

I actually didn’t use any collection proxy this time…i only use one collection file which is the MAIN.collection …what i wanted to do is to do all the stuff using gui scenes and gui scripts only…

I actually add “touch” and “click” input bindings on my project…BUT im afraid as i do not know how to use it this time…coz the current code that i am using is different from the actual code that i had used before like this:

if action_id == hash("touch") and action.released and gui.pick_node(gui.get_node("button\button"), action.x, action.y) then

... some statement

end 

I am sorry to say this but actually,…it makes me confuse and i don’t know what to do…so i really need someone to explain me on how to use it and give me some good advice on how to fix this current problem that i had encountered…

0 Likes

Tip: If you put your code blocks inside two sets of three back-ticks, Discourse will automatically syntax hightight. So:

```
local my_var = “hello"
msg.post(”#", “a_message”)
```

becomes

local my_var = "hello"
msg.post("#", "a_message")
0 Likes

@sicher Thanks for the tip!..i already used it!.. :’)

1 Like

I’m sorry for not responding sooner. Did you solve this? If not, then try to isolate things down to a single guy and gui script.

0 Likes