High CPU Usage

This has been asked a few times, but there seems to be something going on with the editor to cause cpu usage to increase. I’ve had my instance open for some time (linux x64) and it appears to be using a lot of my cpu. Here’s a screen shot from top.

Notice the Xorg is also high, I wonder if there’s an excessive amount of redrawing going on. The stats there are with the window up, but not doing anything. Currently it’s minimized and I’m seeing the same cpu usage. When I am typing into the editor window, usage goes to 100+% on the java instance, where the Xorg usage appears to stay the same.

If I restart, it’ll behave for a while. The UI is still usable, it’s just slow.

I know this isn’t a lot to go on, but I thought I’d report it.

1 Like

Report here as well https://github.com/defold/editor2-issues

This is high on my list of things we need to address in the editor. I can’t make any promises yet, but hopefully we can make gradual improvements over the coming months.

4 Likes

I noticed something last night: It might not be related to Defold, rather Java. I use JetBrains’ WebStorm for my node development. Last night I noticed that both Defold and WebStorm were showing the same high cpu usage. I closed Defold, and noticed that WebStorm was still eating a core, while XOrg was also eating a core. I let it run for a while and the same problem persisted. It went away when I restarted both Defold and WebStorm.

Just FYI.

2 Likes

We’re soon onboarding a new editor developer and this might be one of the first things for him to take a look at. Erik and Mats are doing some time consuming but important work on the editor while at the same time assessing bugs and fixing smaller things. There simply hasn’t been time for them to take on this issue yet.

1 Like

I posted re this a while ago, CPU usage up between 20% and 30% in defold even with blank project on an i5-7300U. I’m only seeing this when using Defold and it’s the Java SE Binary process that’s using the resources.

Strange thing is, if I unplug my network cable, everything’s back to normal. Plug the network cable back in and the Defold Java SE Binary is back up at 30%. No isssues on WiFi so no real biggy for me.

Doesn’t matter which network I’m on. If you have a Realtek NIC chipset give it a go see what happens (takes about 20 seconds to drop, then 20 seconds to shoot back up if I re-plug the cable in).

The Realtek adapter is in my Dell 7480, and USB versions are also in the WD15 USB-C or TB16 Thunderbolt dock. All exhibit this problem, but only with Defold.

Just for info in case it helps anyone in future.

Cheers

I use an Intel wireless card, and have never plugged in.