Heli-Rescue

I love it :slight_smile: Congrats to your progress!

3 Likes

Played the demo, and as I played it, a word rang and rang in my mind, a word called, AWESOME. Just like the classic 90s games, prefectly retro. It also reminded me of a failed game that I tried to make months ago, and failed miserably (:sob:),. Anyways, nice concept, nice gameplay, nice balance (I just died in the first level man!!). Best of luck for future development.

BTW if you ever need some quick assets for this kind and/or some other prototype, check him out . Man he has tons of sprites of everything required in a shmup, and 100% destructible. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice!

I wonder how is playing for others in the browser. For me Chrome is a little jerky in the scrolling, while Firefox and Safari are smooth.

I’m on a Macbook pro 13 2018 (integrated graphic)

Runs smoothly on both Firefox and Chrome for Windows running on my Thinkpad E560.

Played it a bit. Happy to report that the destructibility of the environment is acceptable and pretty satisfying when it come to the larger warehouses.

I’ll give you more in-depth feedback later, but I’ll be definitely following this closely. This looks like it’s going to be a lot of fun.

4 Likes

btw, did you all notice how nice the forum discussion is now integrated into the game page on the portal?

(me = shameless topic stealer)

9 Likes

A few minor additions this update!

• Choice of 3 different helicopters, each with different characteristics
  • 4 completed levels to play through
  • Added a shadow to the player to give the impression of height
  • Mini-radar added for navigation
  • A few graphical and sound additions and improvments

Plus the usual tweaks and bug fixes.

HTML5 build has been updated on the community page

11 Likes

Looking great!!!

2 Likes

Looks good! It would be cool to have the chopper tilt a bit when you turn it :slight_smile: Have you thought about side-by-side strafing instead of the current rotation? Somehow I instinctively feel that a helicopter strafes but I might be wrong! Good job either way

1 Like

Thanks @jhonny.goransson ! You can strafe already using the Q and E buttons. It takes a little while to get the hang of it but it can be quite useful for avoiding enemy fire.

1 Like

Ah, didn’t know! Cool, I’ll test it as well.

Edit: Just noticed that the rotor blades aren’t showing in the shadow, any plans to add it? It would look nice!

2 Likes

Development on Heli-Rescue draws to a close. The first ‘final’ release is available on itch.io here. These native builds provide the best player experience - lag free and fullscreen.

Also, the HTML5 build has been updated on the Community Page if you just want a quick blast.

Barring any serious bugs that pop up, I’m drawing a line under this project today. It’s been good fun to develop this game and it turned out better than I’d initially imagined.

Thanks again to everyone who played the pre-release demos and offered suggestions.

See you in the next devlog thread, whatever that may be!

7 Likes

Nice work as always!

1 Like

You should put it up on itch.io to reach a wider audience! (And maybe also Steam!)

2 Likes

It’s already on itch.io (link in my above post). Hadn’t thought about Steam at all though but it might be worth looking into.

2 Likes

gamejolt, gog, steam… why not? Your game is small, but you put it out for free. So probably the community shall appreciate it even on bigger platforms like Steam.

1 Like

Any plans for gamepad support?

2 Likes

Thaks for the suggestions! I’ve put up a page on Game Jolt offering Windows and browser versions of the game.

As I only offer free games, Steam Direct isn’t really an option with its $100 registration fee.

To be honest, interest in my games outside of the Defold community is pretty low nowadays. Something shifted about a year ago on the Android Play Store particularly. My games were getting maybe a few hundred or even a few thousand downloads but my last three on there have vanished without a trace with only a small handful of takers. As a result I’ve abandoned Android as a viable format for now and trying desktop platforms instead. itcho.io seems to be the best place for homebrew games!

6 Likes

Well, I believe that why not develop this gane further? I think that this game has a lot of potential, and can be developed into a nice, big title. I know that will consume time, but I put my vote to say that the final game would be worth it.

1 Like

I’d like to do a “bigger” game, I really would. Have just heard too many horror stories about indies investing their savings and years of their lives into a game that ends up a flop.

I’d more likely attempt such a thing with a decent marketing/ideas person on board, though finding good people to collaborate with is also quite a challenge. I’ve tried it before with a designer and an artist but the whole thing was a big waste of time.

2 Likes