Have you joined the Global Game Jam this year? What is your project? šŸ˜€

This year I joined for the first time a game jam!
It was very amazing! :smiley:

This year theme was ā€œLost and Foundā€, and this is the game that we delivered.
https://globalgamejam.org/2021/games/gli-amici-del-mulino-0

It is not polished and not so well balancedā€¦ It was not easy to make everything in 48 hours! Also almost all of us were at the first Jam!
Anyway, Iā€™m happy for the quite nice result! :upside_down_face:

The game is not made with Defold because I didnā€™t propose myself as a programmer (I have only like 6 months of experience in game development) and so the other team members have chosen Unity.

Instead I was more confident to propose myself as a Composer / Sound Designer!
This is the main theme of the game:

For the music I recorded myself on a midi controller, then I quantitized all notes :sweat_smile: and I have tweaked some note velocity. The piano has only a long reverb and also I flipped horizontally the melody and I playback the recording on reverse for reach this ā€œnostalgicā€ effect. There are also some soft strings in the background.

I also took care of the AudioManager in game.
The idea was to gradually switch from 5 states of emotions of the ghost during the game. I achieved this making 5 seamless loopā€¦ all loop starts toghether for keep everything in sync, and then I gradually fade in/out during the game adding or removing emphasis on certain emotion.

For sound effects I recorded some sound from some papers touching each other with my microphone and then I removed background noise and equalized everything through the very good ā€œEdisonā€ built-in FL Studio plugin.

What are instead, your submitted projects?
Have you tried to made something that was challenging or new for you?
How was the overall experience? :slight_smile:

P.S. Yes, if you try the game the last sentence is in italianā€¦ it says ā€œThank you for listen to my melody for the last time. Now I can reast in peace.ā€

9 Likes