Gridlock - simple tile changing game made in a weekend

With my last release being quite a technical game, I wanted to do something simple to let my brain cool down. Also, with Ludem Dare coming up next month, I wanted to see what sort of game I could produce in a weekend (never done any sort of game jam before).

The result is ‘Gridlock’, a variant on the Lights Out type of game. In this case there are 3 colours of lights and clicking will cycle through those 3 colours. Pretty simple but it gets quite tricky pretty quickly!

The game is all technically working. I’ll probably put some polish on before releasing on Android (just for the hell of it).

Play HTML5 build in browser

6 Likes

Cool. Well done for a game made over a weekend! I never played Lights Out, and I must confess that I found your game pretty hard. My brain may not be working at top capacity early Monday morning but still, it was pretty hard…

1 Like

Thanks for having a go - it is quite hard and is meant to be. There are strategies to learn that make it easier up to a point. I can get to about level 20 before usually getting stuck. It’s the type of game I’d imagine a savant would be good at.

3 Likes

Released on Android 'coz why not? :grinning:

Gridlock on Google Play

2 Likes

I like it! Are the levels generated or have you designed them from scratch?

The levels are generated by the game so you get a different set each time you play.

There was a degree of ‘intelligence’ in the generation - simply randomising all the colours would likely generate impossible levels so it had to be written so all generated levels were possible to solve.

Source project is freely available to everyone here. No guarantees - use as you wish.

2 Likes