Gravity Bubble Fighter - Gravity + Power + Chaos = Fun

Hi all, my second game made with Defold is out for Android on the Play Store :

Gravity Bubble Fighter

In this one you use simulated gravity by rotating your device to guide your armed core in order to pop bubbles, which gives you money (you also tap the screen to make the core rotate and go faster). With that money you can buy more fun weapons and equip up to 64 of them for more and more power and chaos.

Each bubble wave has more bubbles while difficulty increases. You initially have 10 frantic seconds to beat a wave. Each 100 waves, you gain a prestige level and permanently unlock a special hidden weapon to begin again with that boost. Prestige levels also increase difficulty.
There’s cloud save and online leaderboard with gpgs.
I tried to make the ads as undisrupting as possible, and the in-app purchases are only cosmetics.

Here are some screenshots to give an idea of how crazy it gets :

The game is currently in open beta/early access, so anyone can download it, while I’m still adding high level content and would like to get as many returns on the game as possible to see how it is received and how it can be improved.
So if you try it, please leave a comment on the store page, I’ll be the only one able to see it as it’s in beta.

I considered my first game as an exercise, but with this one I could go way further. Still a blast to work with Defold. The big step up in libraries for me was the use of Monarch and Druid, both which I won’t do without from now on. Also continuing with Defsave, that I modified a little in order to bypass the sys.save buffer limit. Then of course I couldn’t have done without Defold-Input (for the accelerometer), gpgs, admob, iap, and dtimer. Thanks to the Defold team and the libraries makers!

I hope you enjoy!

A little gameplay video :

7 Likes

Gonna have a look at this now!

1 Like

firstly let me say congratulations on a great concept and a pretty solid game.

There is one “big” drawback for me which is that I can barely get my guy moving in the first 10 seconds. I think I failed the first wave 5 or 6 times before the enemies randomly crashed into me. I would say the sensitivity is too low (at least on my pixel 5) for it to really work (for me)

Having said that I LOVE new mechanics like this and it’s an interesting take on the horde game. It kept me playing for a good amount of time (gotta get back to work now) but that’s a good sign. I got up to wave 10 in the end.

I will definitely be playing this again, but as I said, I would recommend some changes to the sensitivity (maybe a slider or something) that would allow for more responsive movement, right now it’s like my character is moving through syrup.

1 Like

Thank you !
Are you tapping the screen so that the core moves faster in the direction of gravity and rotates around itself ? If you do it repeatedly it should rotate and fall much faster.

Added a gameplay video.

I got it now! And reached wave 100. Honestly, it was a pretty fun game. But I almost would have liked it more if you had more control of the character, rather than the somewhat random chaotic nature at the moment.

Nice, thanks!
While taking advantage of the physics engine and the accelerometer, the chaotic nature is a design choice and part of the gameplay, the difficulty and, hopefully, the fun :wink:

I did end up playing a few rounds of this, so, yes, it is fun :blush: and very well balanced. Congratulations.

1 Like