Give advice to the beginner

Hi guys. Sorry for my English, I use a translator.

I do not know programming, but I want to make a simple game, you can tell what most note in the study, where it is best to start?

So:

1. In my game the camera is aimed at the top and down to earth.
  2. Over the edge of the screen should appear the object that falls on the screen of the phone anywhere.
  3. There he dvigaetsya bit, then just disappears off-screen. As if a bee flew into the phone’s screen and flew back. Thank you!
1 Like

Hi @spacestark and welcome to the Defold community!

I learned to program many years ago by a combination of looking at examples, typing them in, experimenting with them and reading. What happened to me was:

1. Looking at an example: “Wow, I want to try that!”
  2. Experimenting with the example: “Hmmm, I don’t really know what I’m doing but I wonder what happens if I change this?”
  3. Reading. “Aha, so that is how that thing really works. Now I understand!”

Understanding is an important step on the way, but that is when the fun begins. To be able to express yourself in code you will need to practice. It takes a while to get to the point where you think of something you want to see on your computer/phone screen and is able to break that down into a series of problems that you manage to solve. It is a wonderfully fun journey to make!

So start by looking at some simple examples and toy with them. Here are a few resources ranging from very simple to a bit more advanced: http://www.defold.com/tutorials/

The “Side scroller” is probably the easiest one to start with. Don’t worry if you don’t understand what you’re doing - that will come eventually. After a little while you will want to dig deeper. The Lua resources thread on Big List of Lua Resources! contains a lot of links. You might find it more convenient to learn from a book. You find a good one on that thread as well.

Good luck!

8 Likes

Thanks you